1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Strat's 85 Maxim project bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by strat, Aug 23, 2009.

1. strat

strat Member

I figured I would make a thread to start documenting the changes to my 85 xj700.

I bought the bike in Decmeber of 08 from a neighbor of a friend (i know... mother's cousin's sister's brother twice removed kinda deal). Anywho, I picked up the bike with roughly 14k miles on it for $1200. This is my first bike although I grew up around bikes with my Dad racing Husqvarna's in Enduro's for most of my childhood and alot of passenger seat time with my grandfather on his Yamaha route 66.

here's a few pics from the day I picked up the bike.

out on the street in front of my friend's house shortly before loading it into the back of a pickup truck to be transported.
    [​IMG]

in the rent's garage next to my dad's pride and joy.
    [​IMG]

The bike was in very nice shape for a 24 year old bike. Gave it a once over while it was still cold and started learning to ride once the weather got warmer.

here's a picture taken of my maxim and my buddies borrowed vfr800 (said buddy has a blown up cafe'd out kawi and the other buddy is letting him borrow the vfr while he's over in iraq) right after my very first ride.
    [​IMG]

since this picture, i've logged around 2k miles on the bike so far this summer. (I made sure to take the motorcycle safety course along with my gf who now also rides her very own savage 650)

during this time I added a set of chrome mirrors from JC Whitney (po did not use mirrors), foam grips, a leather fork bag, pulled the mufflers in favor of a set of chrome turndowns and just recently lowered the bike with a set of Savage 650 shocks (not from the gf's bike btw)

here's the most recent pic of the bike.
    [​IMG]

next on the agenda is to get the Bridgestone spitfire s11's (with white raised letters) mounted up since my rear tire is showing cords (no i have not been riding the bike with the bad rear tire) and then enjoying the bike for the rest of the riding season.

I have some plans for the bike this winter though... :twisted:

p.s. sorry for the phone pics. I will make sure to get some more high quality pics of the bike once the new tires are mounted!

2. Roys85XJ700

Roys85XJ700 New Member

Re: Strat's 85 Maxim project

Hey!!!!

How did you get my bike? LOL

Looks like mine only alot cleaner.

Very nice lookin bike.

3. pkaiz89

pkaiz89 New Member

man those turn down pipes look awsome, ive been wanting to change out the megaphones for somthing a little more stylish, and i think you just showed me the way

4. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

How do the turndowns sound? Are they baffled at all? Would love to see some video of it runningto hear how it sounds.

5. strat

strat Member

i'll try to get some video.

the turndowns are your basic 2" chrome turndowns (not baffled) found at any advance autoparts. coupled with two 2"-1.5" reducer, two 1.5"exhaust pipe clamps, and a healthy dose of hammer and wala...

6. MadMaxim85

MadMaxim85 Member

In that very first pic, it looked like the bike was just standing there all on it's own, no side stand, nothing. Shadow of the kickstand gave it away though.

Very sweet looking bike.

7. strat

strat Member

8. mestnii

mestnii Member

The first picture matches the first picture of my XJ700, snow and all.

Love the turn downs!

9. strat

strat Member

new turn signals came in today. hoping to get them mounted up tonight.

pics to follow. :)

10. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

Now that's a pretty bike! Can't wait to see what else you end up doing with 'er. Looks good so far though and I like your approach..

11. chadall3n

chadall3n Member

hey man put pics up of everything when ur done cuz i have the same bike and looking for ideas

12. chadall3n

chadall3n Member

does putting those turndowns on affect how it runs?

13. strat

strat Member

i'll be sure to post more pics as i do more things to them. for now, the bike is in the garage for the winter. i'm hoping to tear into it in the next month or two.

i had no ill effects with running the turndowns and i did so most of the summer.

14. strat

strat Member

just thought i'd post an update as i'm still around.

bike is still running good. didn't get anything accomplished this winter that I wanted to but next couple of months should be good to me for small stuff.

looking to do forward controls, different bars and grips, progressive fork springs, and possibly some other small touches.

pulled the turndowns off too and reinstalled the factory cans as the clamps just weren't doing a very good job of keeping the turn downs in place (vibes = loose and/or lost turndowns) i'm considering debaffling the stock cans as the chrome is still good on them and they don't look all that bad. (miss the noise that comes with no mufflers) but i may just go aftermarket. :)

15. strat

strat Member

progressive fork springs came in... should be installing them in the next couple of days.

16. strat

strat Member

got the fork springs installed and i can't say enough for how much of a difference they made in how the bike rides and handles. the bike used to dive when i looked at the front brake lever the wrong way. now, not only can i look at the front brake lever, I can even use it with no drama. :)

picked up the rear fender I plan on using when I bob the bike. I'll try to get some pics of the fender when I get the chance... I'm planning on making a floating fender so I can not only keep my rear suspension, I can also have minimal tire to fender clearance in the rear.

not too distant future should include...
    ~ 12" apes
    ~ new grips (looking at the kurakyn iso grips)
    ~ tc bros forward controls
    ~ matching bullet markers for the front (actually I don't think I ever posted a pic of my rears so I'll add that to the pic list to get)
    ~ floating bobbed fender
    ~ reshape the foam and reupholster my stock seat for now (eventually want to go to a solo springer seat)

I'll be sure to update as I make progress

17. strat

strat Member

18. Cmccully04

Cmccully04 Member

great but you do know, that its only the plate bracket correct, the taillight DOES NOT come with it.

19. strat

strat Member

20. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

ive heard other members have bought and had little luck (meaning not very bright) with that tail light.

i got a trailer light from auto zone that was really freaking bright for only $8.