1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alrernator/ brushes problem road trip mishap HELP!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by joshwxj, Aug 17, 2009.

1. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Lol yes , Like i said im not rich so dropping 50-150 on a power impact driver wouldn't happen and yes it would break most of the bolts if not all the bolts on these bikes
    thanks guys

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

HAND impact driver in use:

[​IMG]

I also recommend picking up a set (or at least a 5mm) T-handle allen wrench as well as a 1/4 drive or 3/8 drive 5mm hex bit; it makes working on these bikes a lot easier than trying to struggle with "keys." Plus I'm so anal I use a torque wrench on my case screws.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Man, ... THAT Impact Tool packs a wallop.

Look at how it cracked the concrete with just tap!

4. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Its funny i have a crack just like that under my bike right now in the garage. Well heres the update. I picked up a Craftsman 1/2" drive Impact driver. I was able to get the allen bolts off and I think (90% positive) I have found the problem. One of the brushes is fine with PLENTY of room away from the scribe line. However the other brush ( the one on the bottom side) is about 3mm short of the scribe line. I will have to look at it tomorrow in detail.
    Can the brushes possibaly slide within the holders. The thing that gets me is one brush (top side) is great and one brush (bottom side) is way past the scribe line.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks
    josh

5. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Oh I forgot.... I still am having troubles getting the bottom two front sprocket cover Allen bolts off. Right now they are absorbing Seafoam penetrating oil. So this is the last ditch effort before i have to drill them out.

6. bigfitz52

KROIL. Everything else is a waste of time. http://www.kanolabs.com/google/

You might try to get underneath the edge of the cover at the bolt locations and see if you can get some penetrant into the "seam" between the cover and the engine. I can't believe those are stuck, they're usually bathed in enough chain lube to exclude any corrosion.

7. wdenny

wdenny Member

I have used this stuff before, and it does work great. But do you have stock in this stuff Bigfitz? I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums researching and I have come across many of your KROIL plugs! Sorry, just like to give a guy a hard time.

As for stuck bolts, check out my post on how I got my carb boot hex heads unstuck. It my be an intermediate attempt while you wait for KROIL to show up?

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2 ... +cold.html

8. RickCoMatic

The Brushes normally wear unevenly because the outside Brush "Does more work".
    Examine the face of the Alternator Rotor. If the Outside Ring on where the Brushes make contact shows signs of the Alternator being OVERWORKED ... ( A darker "Burn" circle on the face of the Rotor ) ... find-out why the Alternator is working so hard.

>> Usually, the problem is a Battery that is beyond it's service life and does not get charged sufficiently to keep the Alternator from being overworked. <<

Clean the darkened circles on the Alternator Rotor by rubbing-away the
    scorched surface where the Brush arced on the Rotor with a Typewriter Eraser Pencil.
    http://www.artsuppliesonline.com/catalo ... ta_id=1675

The Eraser Pencil will "Shine-up" the Rotor face without leaving behind any swirls or fine scratches which will cause the Brushes to "Sparkle and Arc" further complicating the Alternator Overloading situation.

9. bigfitz52

Re: Kroil. I never heard of it until Alkasmeltzer recommended it.

Why I highly recommend it:

For a period of nearly nine months after I got my '81 XJ on the road, I had been trying to remove the rusted in place fork caps so I could rebuild the forks.
    I had "tapped" (pounded) them down far enough to pry out the clips but they would NOT come back up.
    I sprayed every concoction known to me (except Kroil) in there, and kept riding the bike, hoping the caps would free up. They didn't.
    Someone suggested Kroil. Desperate, I tried it. One of the caps popped up while I was still applying the Kroil; the other took about 10 minutes.
    NINE MONTHS WORTH OF SOAKING WITH EVERY OTHER PENETRANT DIDN'T WORK. Ten minutes in Kroil and they were free. Worked just as miraculously on my other bike too, and it's saved my bacon a dozen times since. Quite frankly just amazing stuff; it's not a preference it simply works when NOTHING else does.

10. wdenny

wdenny Member

I believe it. I just thought it was interesting, as I had probably read at least 5 or 6 of those in old/archived posts, and then I saw it again.

Just a friendly ball busting.

It is a legit product.

11. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Ok Ive got some Kroil on the way.

All of you will get a kick out of this.....
    I called my local motorcycle repair shop and asked to order of brushes for the bike (81 550RH) So he looks around or a bit and tells me that he might be able to get them and they are $60.48 EACH!!! 120 bucks wow they have out done them selves. So I immediately thought CHACAL. The parts guy told me they are sold seperatly not in pairs.
    Its amazing sometime isnt it?

Oh.. speaking about that shop. I remember why the hex bolts on the front sprocket cover wont budge. The chain had come loose and jammed itself into the front sprocket and had to be cut out. This was before i knew what i was doing and before i found this site so I took it to this shop. I guess when they put the cover back on they used an impact gun to do the work. Should I take it back to them and tell them to fix it? LOL

CHACAL, You have a PM

So I guess I am at a stand still untill I get the Kroil and Brushes in.
    Heres a Q, How do you clean 28 years of crud without damaging the alternator components?

Thanks again everyone
    Josh W

wohooooo!!! 100 hard earned and sometimes expensive posts

12. RickCoMatic

josh, ...

Did they damage the cover?

Before I pop for 60-Bucks for only one Brush, ... I'm buyin' some Brushes that measure close to what I need and, ... "Doin'-a-Mcguiver"

Yammie wants almost $4.50 each for Headset Ball Bearings.
    Each.
    That's a hundred and seventy bucks for Plastic Bags.

I went to a Ball Bearing Supply Depot.
    They have Ball Bearings in large bins.
    I said to the guy, ...

"I need some some Standard, quarter-inch, Ball Bearings."
    He says, ...
    "How many?"
    Figuring I'd lose one or two, ... I said:
    "Forty!"
    He looks-up from the magazine he's reading, looks at me and asks:
    "40 Thousand?"
    "No. Just forty."

He turns around and grabs a little brown bag, then reaches into the bin and grabs a handful of bearings, letting them roll out of his hand into the bag. Then, he hands me the bag and says:

"Give me 5-bucks. Don't worry. There's at least 40 in there!"

13. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

LOL I hear ya on the local shops thing. The problem is that around here people think their crap is made of gold and you cant polish a turd.....so.....
    the next best thing is the internet for me. However, there is one place here called Cycle Parts that I get most of my used motorbike parts from. Just a one acre yard of motorcycle heaven ( or hell im not sure which) The guy who runs the place...well, lets just say he has a very colorful view of the world he lives in.

Hey, rick, since I got ya here. How do you clean off the alternator components? What cleaner what do I pull off what do I not, ect, ect...
    Thanks a million or should I say 40 thousand? ha ha

14. bigfitz52

As you've probably discovered by now, brushes for the 550s run around $20 a set from you-know-who.

I would recommend any good, dry solvent; either actual contact cleaner or brake cleaner, and an old tooth brush.

15. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

LOL, Yes I have them on the way from "you-know-who".
    Thanks for the cleaning tip, Didn't think tat dish soap and a brass brush was a good idea. Kidding of course
    thanks again
    josh w

16. RickCoMatic

You can get Electronic Parts Cleaner at Radio Shack

For the Contact Rings on the Rotor:
    1000 Finishing Paper to Restore the Surface
    1500 To Remove the swirls and scratches of the 1000
    Rubbing Compound to Restore the Surface
    Linen soaked in Alcohol to Clean-off

17. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Thanks Rick. My parts were shipped out today from xj parts. So I'm about five to seven days away from tearing into this.

Say, How long does Kroil take before they confirm or charge your card for your order?

18. bigfitz52

Kanolabs' charge hit my card at the same time the stuff hit my doorstep, all of about 2-3 days. They didn't send a confirmation or anything, it just showed up.

19. joshwxj

joshwxj Member

Sorry I just saw that...No they didnt damage the cover. I said impact gun but what i meant was air gun. I think I will take it back to them and tell them to fix it if the Kroil dose not work. The worst they can say is no. What do you think? Of course they could work on getting the bolts out and break something else....

20. RickCoMatic

The Dealer can't break-off a fitting and leave it for you to worry about.
    They broke it.
    They should know better.
    They're just glad you aren't kicking-up a fuss.

Tell them you'd like them to remove the fragment THEY caused.
    Be sure that you refer to the Original Work Order.
    Don't sign a NEW Work Order.
    Tell them you'd be happy to have it drilled and Helicoiled.