1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dead Battery!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mikegustus, Aug 31, 2009.

1. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

Can I jump start with a car battery and jumper cables?

If so, can some one tell me any tips or anything to avoid doing? Can I connect the ground to the engine block?

Battery is ok BTW (I think), I just drained it trying to start the bike repeatedly, after screwing with the carbs and fuel lines.

2. redfire

redfire Member

hook it to the block and jump the other directly to the starter side of the solenoid (BE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NEUTRAL!!) with the key on. The starter will crank and the bike should start without sending neccessary amperage through the bikes's wiring system. I've heard it's okay to jump it off with a car that isn't running as well.

3. yamahamandk

yamahamandk Member

You can jump jump the bike from a car battery, but NOT with the car running. With the car running too many amps will be pushed through the system and this isn't a good...

Had to jump my xj from my car yesterday when like an idiot I must have left my ignition on overnight.

Hook the charger cables to the car first (again - don't have the car running) negative first - positive second.

Hook the charger cables to the bike in the same order and crank it up.

I'm not sure about grounding to the engine block - I never have.

4. RiderXJ

RiderXJ Member

Mike,
    The best way to get that battery charged is to put it on a slow 2amp charge until it's fully charged.A low battery voltage causes all kinds of running problems. Small chargers are fairly cheap. It's worth it. I would NOT recommend just jumping from battery to battery. The car battery has a lot more amps in it and could cause damage or worse to the smaller battery and other electrical components.