1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike shuts off when I park it and oil light comes on???

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by marine87, Aug 31, 2009.

1. marine87

marine87 New Member

Only happens when I have stopped to park not when I am out riding and say stop at a light etc... The bike will shut off and if I try to start it again the oil light comes on. Oil light doesn't come on or flicker when riding. Any suggestions as to what this might be? Safe to ride it? XJ600s

2. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

If you know you have enough oil in there you should be ok to ride (bike on center stand oil at top of sight glass)

3. helmet

helmet Member

does it only come on when you crank it? if so, that is by design to let you know it is working.
    if the bike is just dying when you stop to park, are you putting the sidestand down? they have a safety switch that is designed to the kill the bike when it is in gear and the sidestand is down.

4. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

on my maxim, the oil light comes on as well when you put the sidestand down and the engine is killed...

5. marine87

marine87 New Member

gonna go see if that is it now. Makes sense though since i think you guys are right and it only happened once i put the side stand down and never when i was just stopped.

6. helmet

helmet Member

hopefully that is all it is
    enjoy the riding!

7. Ternk

Ternk Member

Sometimes, that safety kill switch can get stuck, causing a bike to not start unless it's in neutral, but it doesn't look like you have that problem so nevermind :p I have to manually pull mine out some days, and I'll eventually have to de-gunk it to free it up.

8. marine87

marine87 New Member

yeah that was exactly what it was, safety cut off when the kickstand was down and bike in gear. Thanks for the input glad It wasn't another problem:D