1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Schooter goes to college pt 2! MTU Motorcycle club!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by schooter, Aug 30, 2009.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

Well, It all started when I rolled out of my top bunk and landed on the corner of my desk. I was on the floor tryin to get air, then got some, crawled back in bed, woke up the next morning, went to the hospital, a few bruised ribs and some stiches later, im layin in bed not wanting to move, but bored outta my mind, so I had my cousin pick me up and take me out to get some movies, on the way there, I saw the 4x4 club meeting, and bam! I thought about a MC club. If i start a club, I'll get funded by the university to do this. ( Its better then the medieval reenactment club, I see them walkng around all the time!) So ya.

I was thinking about getting use to classes, see what my work load is, and see what kind of time I have. I would love to start a motorcycle club, helping work on bikes, plan rides, we could all put money towards a rental unit, or the university could pay for it :D, we'd have our own patches... and so on,

This first year of the club if i start it will be a grass roots kind of thing, Ill see what response I get, and so on.

What I'm asking of you guys is for some ideas of events, how to advertise the group, and so on, I think its a great way to get my mind of frat parties, cuz they're too much fun.
    P.S. All you xjbike members that are MTU alumni can become members, skeeter's not far away.

2. moellear

moellear Member

man if there were such a thing on my campus for a motorcycle club, i would definitely join! one more year though and i am outta here although i sure will miss all the freedoms and late nights though so enjoy it while it last schooter

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

I know your spelling, Schoot', was that rental or renal unit. :?

4. schooter

schooter Active Member

RENTAL

5. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

How about joining up with the medvil re-enactment dudes, borrow some of their lances, and have a MC club jousting contest! Great way to introduce your new club to the campus!

Naw! Probably won't work. Why would you want to associate your new club with a bunch of college kids in fake armor!?

Should be fun to get a club started. Someone on this site has expertise on creating newsletters. I'll bet he'd be glad to let you know what works. Find a faculty adviser who rides and that will be a good start.

My best advice would be to turn aside all prejudices. All are welcome with no ridicule. Harleys, Hondas, Yamahas, Buells, Hodakas, Moto-Guzzis, etc.

You get the idea. Sounds like a good time. Study first, play second. Keep a balance. Hsave fun!

6. wizard

wizard Active Member

Alright, I know your ribs hurt but there's no need to shout. :lol:

7. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

put on a bike/car show, make it a fund raiser for ASPCA or St. Jude, have loud 50's music and food vendors. do a raffle or silent auction.

you could also do a drag day, rent a drag strip and throw a party there.

8. skeeter

skeeter Member

hey schooter - great idea, i'd be proud to wear an alum patch.

i strongly recommend talking to someone at WMTU because a)they have a lot of experience with getting money from the school and b)they'd probably record some advertisments and play them on air for you (for free).

being that most of your school year is winter, i'd see this club as having some fall and spring rides, but during the winter you could fix up some old bikes and sell them to reinvest the profit back into the organization. i think the folks at MTU can appreciate what a learning experience it can be to fix up a 25+ year old bike.

to get the school on board, i think it would be extremely important to stress safety and rider awareness. you could probably, eventually, get them to let you teach some sort of motorcycle proficiency class. (i knew some guys that talked the school into letting them teach a hackey-sack class that actually counted towards a PE credit).

i'm also thinking a lake superior trip would be a good idea.

there are some really nice twisties down by me and i'd be willing to host some campers if anyone wants to take a ride down.

9. KingPin

KingPin Member

Just a friendly suggestion with the formation of any MC, even a harmless on campus for fun club. See what dominant clubs are in your area and get an impression of what they are like, Some harder clubs will not abide other patches in their territory, they may cause trouble for you if you jump in without looking. I'm only mentioning this because most MC members are some of the greatest guys you'll ever meet, but some probates for hard clubs itch to cause trouble if they see a patch that doesn't meet with their approval, that way they can engineer a situation where they "busted some heads" for the club and proved their loyalty. Stay safe man and let me know how it's working out.

10. johntc

johntc Member

If MTU is a typical 21st Century institute of higher learning a good approach will be to emphasise the beneficial aspects of motorcycling. Perhaps reference to the great fuel economy could endear you to the "Green" crowd thus opening up the gates to a flood of money. :D

You will of course have to point out the unisex appearance of a good riding outfit. A fully dressed rider cannot even be identified as to species let alone gender or ethnic background. :oops:

Whatever you do, don't mention Sturgis! :lol:

11. yardape

yardape New Member

no sturgis reference is probably a good thing

12. switch263

switch263 Member

+1 on this, this is why I don't ride with any of the clubs in my area, they all require you to wear your patch, and theres at least a handful of 1%ers runnin around near me. I'll just rock my skull and crossed wrenches, personally. Nobody seems to know what it means anyway, hah.

13. schooter

schooter Active Member

14. marsmom

marsmom Member

That's a cool looking logo. I wonder if we have any cool clubs around here. Probably not. Have fun with your group.