1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Break-in procedure

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by erockswheeler, Sep 5, 2009.

1. erockswheeler

erockswheeler New Member

Hello all,
    I just got a '09 kawi ninja 650r and was wondering about everyones thoughts on break in. All the manuel says it keep it below 4000RPMs for 500 miles and also below 8000Rs for the 500-1000mi time frame. I have asked many people about this topic and have heard a lot of different opinions. Personally, I'm going to follow the manuel (or close to it at least) and trust that Kawi wouldn't steer me wrong.
    Any thoughts?
    P.S.- my XJ is more fun right now because i can ride it how I want...i have a feeling that just might change in a few hundred miles.

2. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

Personally I break them in like I'm going to ride them.

3. erockswheeler

erockswheeler New Member

Wyldman- Thats probably the best way I've heard it put. Some guys say to ride it like a raped ape...but that just doesn't jive with me. More or less thats what I am doing although I shift a little earlier than I usually would (below or around 4). Thanks for the input.

4. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

When I was growing up in the 50's, everybody put their car through a "breakin" period. Not over 45mph for so many miles etc. I haven't heard of anybody doing that in MANY years. Books may recommend it but nobody does it. I figure the same holds true for bikes as cars.

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

A very experienced engine assembler said " change the oil at 100 miles" and that was for a car. The rings need some force to break in, with lots of closed throttle coasting to suck oil in the ring lands. So, jockey the throtle in mid RPM's like a grinnin teen-ager. Get that assembly lube out of the motor quick, including a filter. And don't over-heat it.

6. erockswheeler

erockswheeler New Member

OK, thanks Wizard. Sounds like I'm pretty close to that description. The first 100 miles or so I did quite a bit of acceleration (not crazy hard though...only up to about 4000Rs) followed by engine braking. However I was going to wait until about 500 or so (book says 600) to change the oil. Is there any noticable difference on an engine thats broken in properly as opposed to to one thats not? I mean, I know machining has come a long way which would really minimize the amount of "break-in"...or am I way off base?

7. erockswheeler

erockswheeler New Member

sorry TIMEtoRIDE, I just realized I called you wizard. oops

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I agre with TIME, goose it when you're accelerateing but keep below the rpm threshold they suggest, and engine brake whenever you can. Best way to get the rings broke in.

I read an interesting article one day about how engines only take 20 miles or so to break in nowadays. I'll see if i can dig it up.

Edit:
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

There ya go :)

9. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

+1

race engines are broken-in on the dyno

industrial and commercial engines are broken-in on the dyno

run it at high idle for about 5 minutes, check the vitals, beat the piss out of it.

10. erockswheeler

erockswheeler New Member

thats an interesting article, thanks man. So I guess I'm done breaking her in then, haha. Maybe I'll schedule the first maintenance early.