1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Old MC mechanic but new to forum

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jacktar9417, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jacktar9417

Jacktar9417 New Member

Just joined forum but found it a few weeks ago while looking for info on Yamahas. Found a wealth of info and I'm appreciative to all who have shared their expertise.

It's impossible to have every manual for every machine when one runs an independent repair shop. Having this forum available has saved me quite a bit of time and frustration. (Darned $#@&^% Hitachi Carbs).

Most of my experience is with Hondas, Suzukis, and Kawasakis. My Yamaha experience is mainly with the 2-stroke variety.

Thanks again to everyone.

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

Hi Jacktar, welcome.
    Does the post title mean you are a mechanic that works on old motorcycles, or just an old mechanic? :lol:

3. Jacktar9417

Jacktar9417 New Member

I'm an old mechanic and yes, I work on old motorcycles too!

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

You might add your location.

From time to time we have a member that decides to outsource a job. Might as well get the ones in your neighborhood.

5. helmet

helmet Member

welcome aboard!

6. Jacktar9417

Jacktar9417 New Member

Thanks Helmet and MiCarl. I'm out in the boonies - a rural part of Maine known as "Downeast" along the seacoast near the Canadian border. We're beyond Bar Harbor (which is about as far Downeast as the tourists are willing to venture). That means one must work on everything and anything (I really mean that, too). A little old lady dropped by the shop the other day and said: "Heard you fix stuff." To which I replied: "Yes ma'am." She then stuck a pair of hedge clipping shears in my hand and said: "Sharpen these. I'll be back for 'em after lunch." What could I do? I simply sharpened them for her and when she returned and asked how much she owed me, she was taken aback by the one dollar price I was going to charge her and she beat me down to 50 cents!! Ayuh! This is Downeast Maine.

7. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

Welcome to the forum.

8. schooter

schooter Active Member

ahahahaha

9. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

At least you got the 50 cents. Around here all the old ladies want to trade web site development for the work........

10. Jacktar9417

Jacktar9417 New Member

Funny you should mention that. My wife is a professional web developer http://www.bennettwebcompany.com and she has bartered her services in the past. The only difference being is that others approached her (when she would prefer cash) and asked her to create web sites for their businesses in exchange for various items. Of course, this is normal practice in Downeast Maine. Most people around here don't have much money, so bartering goods and services is essentially the local currency. It has nothing to do with the recent downturn in the economy - it's always been that way in this region. Most of the old (not running) machines that people around here bring to me to work on (with instructions to "get running") were obtained through bartering. People around here often trade junk for junk.

11. XJDriver

XJDriver Member

Welcome to the forums. This site is really alot better then any manual you could ever buy. Often times the pics are better too :)