1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How bad is this wiring?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kipper, Sep 2, 2006.

1. dgmid61

dgmid61 Member

I think you should make a real "iron butt" ride and bring it on down to virginia.. you can help me make sure this XJ I have is up to snuff.. LOL

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Kip, for most applications on the bike, 16 gauge should be sufficient. On the other hand, overkill on wires never hurt a durn thing so have at, costs a little bit more for 14 but you won't have that repair flaming out on you. Best of luck and don't forget to throw any questions/problems you encounter out here ok?

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

That's a pretty nice fuse block for under 10-bucks ... huh guys???

Heavy-Duty, 6-place (two for spares or aux somethings).
    Rubber, O-ring style sealed and connection spades for soldering or crimped-on style connectors.

All that for $8.99 ... such a deal!!!

4. kipper

kipper New Member

Money finally made it to my bank. I just ordered the fuse block RickCo recommended.

Looking at the pic of the block, it looks to me like it does not use the kind of fuses the factory block takes. Am I right or wrong on that -- and if I'm right, what do I need to get?

I still don't have the CD -- money, again -- but I will be ordering one. And I don't have a Haynes either. Yeah, I know, .45 cal hole in my foot. Workin' on it.

Tomorrow, I will be heading for Radio Shack (unless yus guys tell me otherwise) to pick up a soldering iron, solder, shrink wrap and some 14ga wire. Besides fuses/fuse blades/or whatever this block uses, is there anything else I need before I can start to actually start?

Attached Files:

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Black electrical tape to finish-off the project and give it a real clean look.
    The fuses are those new-style plastic color-coded ones with the amp rating marked to see.

Solder and shrink wrap the new wires to the paned ... with plenty of extra length on the new wires and a portion of shrink wrap standing-by to finish the job.

Solder and shrink some pigtails to the wiring harness to allow you you place the new panel where-ever you like.

After determining where you'll mount the new panel ... bring the all the pigtails together and cut them to length for a nice looking splicing.

Cut, strip, solder and shrink the tails alll together and then ... tape 'em up nice.

I used my needle's to hold the wires at the panel and creat right angles on the wires.

You're going to like the way it looks in there when you get it all taped-up and mounted!

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Don't forget the flux, it will make the difference between a good and mediocur job. I would use heat shrink for your soldered connections. Another good investment, should you find you like soldering, is the little handy hands (two alligator clips on separate articulated arms and a weighted base, makes splices much easier) which can also have a magnifying glass. I would suggest Harbor freight for just about all of this stuff, including the ATC automotive blade fues you will need. Happy hunting!