1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

transmission shudder 82 xj1100

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by wildmanwal1973, Aug 26, 2009.

1. wildmanwal1973

wildmanwal1973 New Member

Under light load I get a shudder from tranny on acceleration. It does this in all gears. Feels like something is loose. If I accelerate slightly it goes away. Engine runs fine.

2. helmet

helmet Member

if you pull the clutch, does it go away as well?
    if so, you might have a warp in your clutch plates.

3. ZeroBoostBuick

ZeroBoostBuick New Member

I agree... Something in the clutch assembly, either the metal drive plates are warped, clutch basket damaged or anything else that is in there could be damaged, like the friction plates or even the (primary?) bearing...

I didn't have to drain the oil to inspect/repair my clutch...Using the SIDE stand the bike was leaning over enough not to worry about the oil leaking.

I just finished bolting up the clutch cover 30 minutes ago and I didn't get it right because the clutch doesn't work, and it's already too late to try again so better luck to me tomorrow. The tricky part is putting on the cover, that's where I messed up.

Best of luck to you and your XJ!

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Also check your universal joint. They can make strange noises and cause vibrations when they are going bad.
    Have you checked the oil levels in the middle and final gear boxes? They are ofter overlooked.