1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Which Acewell Speedo Cable Should I Order?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jdrockin, Feb 20, 2009.

1. jdrockin

jdrockin Member

So I finally became a proud owner of a well-used(read rough-shape) XJ900. Cosmetically it is so bad that I'm turing it into a streetfighter style XJ. I'm going to be purchasing the Acewell 2853 from Electrosport but I'm not sure which pick-up cable I should order. Some peope have ordered the S4 cable and found luck with it while others are using the magnetic pick-up. I have an '83 XJ900 and I would like to go with the S4 for ease of install. Does anyone have any knowledge of which pick-up to use? Thanks!

2. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

I can't answer your question but I'd like to see pics of your bike. I have a 750 Seca in similar condition. I love it though.

3. jdrockin

jdrockin Member

The bike as it sits now. The tank has a big crease in it on one side. I have a tank from a 750 being sent from CO but if I don't like the look of it I'm just going to bondo the tank to make it look nice again. I'm going to paint everything with Dupli-Color Truck Bed Liner to give it a unique look. From what I hear it feels like an orange peel and shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the legs when riding in shorts...I hope.
    [​IMG]

4. gurgietrueshot

gurgietrueshot Member

I one of the ones that got an S4 and my understanding is the connection at the speedo pickup is the same all all our bikes. I can't say for sure but it worked great for me. You will have to do some playing around with the wheel circumference setting. First time I took my bike after the switch I hit 130 a little too easily :D. I found that I needed to half the value I picked up in the instructions. After that it seemed to be right on. I am planning to take it out with my GPS this weekend to verify that I am right on.

5. Tiny

Tiny Member

I would advise againt Dupli-color truck bed liner. It works great for truck beds but is rough if you accidently scrape yourself on it. It has no give.

6. jdrockin

jdrockin Member

Do you have any experience with it. After reading on this forum kevineleven described it as feeling like orange peel when applied closely to the object. Orange peel don't feel too bad to me. If it feels rougher than that, I'd like to know. I'm obviously going to try it first before painting the whole bike but I don't mind hearing other opinions.

7. johno8

johno8 Member

I went with the magnetic pickup and the result is great. Had to make a small bracket for the pickup and calibrate the speedo in real motion, but it works great.

8. RangerG

RangerG Member

If you ride in shorts, the texture of the paint on the gas tank is going to feel like a baby's bottom compared to when you start scraping your bare legs across the pavement in the event of a get off!

9. snider

snider New Member

Hey I'm currently replacing the console with the Acewell speedo as well, I ordered the S4 cable and then upon futher inspection of my bike the ends are different. My XJ is a canadian build and has a completely different connector. I would check your bike first.
    I'm currently thinking about modifing the end cap from my old calbe to somehow place on the new cable, but haven't figured it out yet. If not looks like I'm buying the magnetic one.

So if anyone has any Ideas let me know.

10. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

I have an 82 Maxim 650, which has no speedometer hardware on it. I would like to get one of these acewell's also, anyone with the same year/model as my bike have any luck with an acewell, and if so which pick-up?

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i used the magnetic one and it works perfect, good luck with the tach though
    still trying to get that sorted out

12. AMCWood

AMCWood Member

Does anybody have pictures of how they mounted the magnet to the wheel and the sensor to the fender? And does anybody have the wheel circumference settings the used? Thanks

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

magnets are stuck on with mounting tape, get the good stuff, the maxim's been on a few years and gone over 100 it'll never come off
    sensor gets a aluminum block screwed to the fender and some wire ties
    measure the tire by putting a drop of oil on it, sit on the bike and roll it till you get one revolution (2 dots of oil) measure between them convert to MM
    and punch it in the speedo

14. bossnoss77

bossnoss77 Member

I recently became a dealer for acewell gauges (electrosport).
    There is a few cables that are not on there web site.
    I own a 1982 xj750 rj seca and the speedo hooks up to the wheel hub with a small eyelet which is held in place by a small screw.
    Does this sound familiar? Trent @ electrosport say this cable type takes the s8 cable that is not shown and will work on these older yamahas.
    if you have any other questions let me know

15. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

It's textured, but very smooth. It will not sand your legs off. Tiny is wrong. In fact it has lots of "give", not quite rubbery, but you can feel it's not as hard as paint.

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

bossnoss77
    one question, how do you keep the tach from jumping all over?

17. bossnoss77

bossnoss77 Member

ill look in to it

18. bossnoss77

bossnoss77 Member

the s8 cable is a differant configuration sorry to lead you astray . i was mis informed

19. johno8

johno8 Member

Pollock:

My tach was jumping like crazy. I soldered the tach wire to one of the coil inputs as was suggested and it was still jumping like crazy. Replaced the coils and now it's rock steady...old coils=intermittent electronic tach issues I suppose.