1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New guy from WA

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by wr-ecks, Sep 1, 2009.

1. wr-ecks

wr-ecks New Member

Hello all. Im from Tacoma. Im pretty new to motorcycles, I've wanted one since I was a little kid and have been drooling over my Dads bikes for years. I finally got to a point in my life where I could buy one and this is what I got. Its an 81 750 seca. And yea, that really is a jason mask covering the battery. 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been modifying cars and trucks since I had a drivers license. I've owned about 20 cars in the last 6 years. I've built everything to off-road purpose only Toyotas (4 of them in fact) to my newest car This 05 STI that I use for RallyX.

[​IMG]

Right now I figure I'm going to ride this bike until the weather gets to the point where I can't really ride it much, then I might turn it into a bobber. I've been looking at some of the pics here and there are some wicked bikes. Really giving me a lot of ideas. Well anyways cool site and I look forward to meeting you all.

2. helmet

helmet Member

welcome aboard!
    the mask is quite the nice touch on that bike!
    i personally like the blacked out look more than the bobber style.

3. wr-ecks

wr-ecks New Member

Thanks.
    The PO put the mask there. I didnt think I was going to keep it but he changed my mind. One of the first things I said to him was, "do you still have the piece that covers the battery?" He looked like he was going to cry. LOL. He really didnt want me to take it off and so I left it there for a couple days. Now I like it and its staying. It had purple neons for eyes but they kinda bugged me so I took them out.

I like both styles really. If it was up to me I'd have a bobber, a cruiser, a way too ridiculous chopper and a few others too. I have a habit of changing my mind all the time so we'll see what I end up doing. Right now its just going to be my ride to work so I dont put a ton of miles on the STI.

4. helmet

helmet Member

a buddy has an STI... that is a very wicked car!
    his dream is to get another Seca 900 like had in high school

5. YVRxj650

YVRxj650 Member

welcome wr-ecks.

I'm up in Vancouver, BC. You can ride all year round in the pacific northwest if you want. You just need good rain gear....

nice bike, btw.

6. wr-ecks

wr-ecks New Member

Yea. I rode to work (about 20 miles) a couple days ago in the rain wearing nothing but jeans and my riding jacket. It really wasnt that bad at all. I could use some decent rain gear though. My jacket does all right but my jeans were soaked. I just figure If my bike is going to be down for any length of time It might as well be in the winter. Plus when it starts snowing my car is just way too fun to leave in the garage. :D

7. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Welcome to a great site and o motorcycling. As mentioned above you can ride nearly year round in the PNW. I live in Vanouver, USA and ride everyday that there is no snow and ice on the roads.

In addition to my 650 Maxim I also have a luxury tourer with an 840 W alternator so it will be electric riding gear for me this year!

It is great fun to ride on those occaisional sunny fall/ winter /spring days.

Good rain gear is essential and a wind screen definitely helps keep the raindrops from going down your collar, your shirt, and ultimately your trousers!

Best advice I can give you is to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Street Skills (or equivalent). You will learn a lot and the knowledge just might save your life.

8. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

Hey Welcome the the site!! I'm in the Portland area and, have found that the folks in the PNW and on this site are some mighty fine & helpful people. I've had "Hilda" for over 20 years and just this past spring/summer restored her engine & carbs. Much of the credit is due to the folks here on this site answering my questions and, helping me work through a few problems. Don't be shy! Check the archives first then, ask as many questions that you might have. +1 on what wamaxim about the safety course, better riders have a better chance of staying on the road a long time!

Cheers
    Ken

9. wr-ecks

wr-ecks New Member

I plan to take one of those safety classes that gets you your license all in one shot. All I have at the moment is my permit. Luckily I have friends who have been riding for years so when I started talking about buying a bike I got a lot of advice on how not to kill myself. It's helped a lot. Thanks for all the welcomes!

10. chadall3n

chadall3n Member

i like it.

11. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

Nothing like getting a biker baptism. In Florida it's the same. If you want to ride in the summer... your going to get wet.

Welcome to the jungle!!

12. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

Uh Oh!!! Hey wr-ecks can I interest you in a chance to ride for a worthy cause??? :mrgreen: We are trying to move a card and camera across the country in honor of my brother for his family, and we are looking for a rider in your area!! So if you think it is something you can help with (I understand if life just won't let you) can you contact me and/or waxamim via pm

Thanks again and welcome,

13. wr-ecks

wr-ecks New Member

LOL. biker baptism. thats great.

14. Rick_in_WA

Rick_in_WA New Member

welcome aboard, I like your bike, and the mask....... am in the Battleground/vancouver/portland area, if ya ever want to do a ride down this way drop me a note, but I am mostly riding up your way....LOL