1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Somebody Butchered my Mirror mount

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Labradorian_XJ550, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

In another post i put up today talks about the shim tool alternative, while i was doing that job last night, i decided to remove the mirrors as i plan on changing them to small round chrome ones, currently they are black rectangular plastic thanks to the PO, not exactly attractive. The left one comes off like butter, i was able to take it off with my hands, the right one however is tougher, so i back off the mirror bolt and slide up the shaft, and viola the damn thing has been cross threaded into the mounting hole thanks again to the PO (so far the PO has buggered the petcock, #1 carb, mirror, rear turn signals) :evil: , so i left it alone........ what is the best fix that people have encountered, do i fill and tap the hole, when i remove the mirror the hole will be on a slant to the orginal....

about 3 months ago i was on the verge of putting this thing to bed in the back of the garage and getting a new bike (fuel injected, bigger engine), but instead walked away from the bike for a month.... now i have decided that if i am getting the beast on the road it's gonna be done right with a little persuasion of the wife..... I will do a write up with pics at a later date...

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

PO probably tried to use non-Yamaha mirrors?

Yamaha mirrors have reverse (left handed) threads on the right side mirror, and thus on the mirror mount.

It might be difficult to fill the hole and then re-thread it, being's it's in soft aluminum.

3. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

Yeah looks like the mirrors may have came from Canadian Tire.... i have seen the same ones on their shelves......

One idea i had was to fill in the hole with JB weld, sand and paint to match, maybe put a Yamaha logo on top...... i did some research and here in ontario it states that a motorcyle is required to have a mirror or mirrors to see the rear approacing traffic, ie, replace just the left mirror....

Idea # 2 is cap off both mounts, paint and then install additonal aftermarket chrome mounts and have 2 chrome mirrors....

4. JFStewart

JFStewart Member

You could use a helicoil kit in the correct thread to match the mirror. It comes with the drill to oversize the hole, tap to cut the threads into the parent material, threaded insert and installation tool. It is not cheap but it makes a nice job. If you use this process, a little blue thread locking compound applied during installation will hold the insert from backing out.

5. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

JFStewart,

do you know where i can find a kit or at least a coil here in the ottawa area, something cheap :roll:
    I have searched online and can't seem to find a supplier here....

6. markie

markie Member

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You should be able to pull the master cylinder off and find a machine shop or auto mechanic that can helicoil the hole for you, or possibly weld enough metal in there to re-tap it.

Here's the rub: The right side is the REVERSE THREADED side, which is probably why it got buggered up in the first place.

I would be making a lot of phone calls first.