1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Side kickstand bracket

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by rcracerguy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

I've read that other people on here have had the side kickstand bracket break off and the only opion is to weld to back on. Well I looked at mine and there is only part of one there. So is there a way I could get the tab from a bike or would I have to have one some how made. Oh and yes I can use the center stand. It would just be nice to have the side one.

2. albran

albran Member

I did a Google search for "universal motorcycle side stand"
    and found this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q ... afe=images

Looks like they are all in England but it's a start.

(I ordered a backrest/luggage rack for my Vmax from the Netherlands and the shipping was surprisingly cheep)

ab

3. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

thanks for the info

4. briwod

briwod New Member

I have the same problem of missing sidestand and bracket and have been dealing with it for the last year since I got the bike. It's a real drag putting it up on the center stand every time I stop somewhere so I just ordered one of the bolt-on universal stands that came up in the google search posted above. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

5. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

Sounds great! Let me know how it works. I woundered if it would fit behind the exhaust or not.

6. briwod

briwod New Member

So, I ordered the sidestand and got it at the end of last week. Less than a week shipping from UK to the midwest was pretty fast.
    Over the weekend I attempted to put it on, but found that it is not going to be a simple bolt on application like I had hoped. There is just enough room on the frame between the back of the engine and where the foot pegs mount to fit the side stand mounting bracket except that the stock sidestand switch is in the way. I temporarily took off the switch figuring that I would permanently disconnect and remove it after the sidestand was installed. Unfortunately, I found there is not enough clearance between the exhaust and the frame to get the bottom of the mounting bracket to fit because the ears where the bolts go stick out too far. I still think it will work if you take off the muffler and cross pipe until after the sidestand is mounted, but I didn't have enough time to screw around with it last weekend. My bike has the stock exhaust, but if you happen to have a 4 into 1 exhaust then you won't have the same problem with the exhaust interference and mounting the sidestand should be pretty simple.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i have a theory for the kickstand bracket failure
    under the cap on the swingarm pivot there's a drain hole, if it's not open the next place for water to go is down that lower frame tube then it rusts then the bracket breaks off
    if yours broke off the waters out but not on the other side
    short of drilling a hole in the bottom of the frame or hanging the bike by the front wheel, i don't know how to get it out
    when i did my frame i found about a half cup of real nasty water(all over me)
    i let it drip a while and replaced it with 15W40
    something to check this winter

8. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

I wondered if you ever got that kickstand on? and how's it working?

9. rcracerguy

rcracerguy Member

I haven't got around to doing anything with my kickstand yet. Does someone have a picture of there kickstand bracket. Mine is still welded to the frame but the bottom half of it is broke off.

10. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I've never had a problem with mine yet (knock on wood) but if I were to replace it, I'd wrap a piece of 1-1/4" heavy wall tubing around the frame rail on the bottom (as far around as I could) and weld it to the frame first, then weld a new, longer (stronger) tab onto the frame to get more strength out of it, so it won't brake off again. The side stand switch would be in the garbage if it got in the way.