1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How cold (temp) do you ride?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by iwingameover, Oct 6, 2009.

?

How cold air temp do you ride

1. 60F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 50F-60F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 40F-50F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 30f-40f

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. below 30F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tinytim

tinytim Member

Rain pants seemed like a good idea to me too
    Trouble is,they got against the exhaust (this was on a Harley where your right leg is against the pipe when you put your feet down) ,which melted a hole in em
    Then of course the wind caught in the hole,so by the time I reached my destination,they were totally shredded :oops:

2. yamasarus

yamasarus Member

Below 40 there is no substitiute for electric vest or jacket liner. With and adjustable thermostat you can dial in what you need. Keep the torso warm and you keep the limbs warmer. I am good down to 25 degrees with my heated liner, Firstgear Speed jacket, Alpinestars winter gloves, insulated bib overpants and boots. And don't forget the full face helmet. But if the roads are wet, park it.

3. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

+1 for wamaxims thought on black ice.....
    Hit it once pulling into the intersection at the end of my street....
    Found myself on my side, looking back up my street in the blink of an eye
    I'm a bit less stubborn in the mornings wanting to ride now....
    Frost in the driveway means black ice waiting on the roads :)

For extra gear a polar fleece type sweater under my jacket and a winderbreaker pantsunder my mesh riding pants...
    Keeps things warm enough on my commute....

4. FABFABINC

FABFABINC Member

Well livnig in Montreal Quebec I pretty much ride till November 1st. If I can ride just a few days after that I'm a happy man. But obviously the frequency of riding is not the same starting mid October.

5. mhhpartner

mhhpartner Member

Tall "hunting" socks coupled with long johns really help with the legs.

The thermal insert and rain liner in my mesh jacket takes care of the chest and arms.

My chin and throat were my biggest problem area. Even with my full-face helmet, that open area between my jacket collar and helmet would be in pain after a few miles.

Finally settled on a thin wool scarf for the adam's apple and a velcro'ed camo mask which covers my nose and chin.

Thus bundled, I handled my 40-mile interstate commute as cold as it gets here in south Louisiana - typically 28-30 degrees F.

I'm sure there was a little pride involved in getting the amazed looks from my co-workers, but I also found the ride very enjoyable and, um, invigorating!

Stray safe-
    Herb

6. Dustin_Z

Dustin_Z New Member

I just got rid of my other XJ as well! 97 on 6 1/4" lift with 35s and lockers. Built for the rocks! They do VERY well in the snow...maybe it was my mechanical front locker... I tried not to use the ARB in the rear, takes all the fun out

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use 38*F-39*F as my "cutoff point." Anything below that and there's too good a possibility of hitting a patch of ice especially out in the rural area I start from.

8. tinytim

tinytim Member

I wouldn't use a scarf.
    I heard about an incident where a bikers scarf caught on a fence,or car,or maybe it was the bike itself
    Before he could get loose it strangled him
    Might be true,maybe an urban legend,but either way it sounds possible to me

I wear what I call my "ninja mask" to keep my empty head and neck warm

9. jdpesz

jdpesz Member

Chaps make a huge difference. Even lightweight ones like mine.
    I put the liner back in my jacket this week. Mostly for the morning ride into work.
    Oh, and the big Windjammer on the front of the bike doesn't hurt either.

And thanks for reminding me to get out my winter gloves.

But if it's cold enough for ice, the bike stays home in the garage and I switch to my nice warm Taurus.

10. ride-on

ride-on New Member

My wife and I have ridden in temps down to 32, but that was when we were in our mid 30's. Don't do that anymore, but then again we don't have the proper attire and things don't work at 63 the same as they did at 30 years of age. We try to stay in the mid 50's and up temperature range. Ride-On

11. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

Rode "The Legacy" to my daughter's house to watch the husker game tonight. 48*F on the ride over. Not too bad. Coming back was a bit nipply though. 38*F 20 mph winds and raining. Got a little soaked from the knees down. I rode into November last year due to now snow or ice on the ground. Was about 20*F or so a couple of mornings. Carharts are wonderful!!!

12. gurgietrueshot

gurgietrueshot Member

I'm using 25 degrees as my cut of this year. We only have one car for the family so I try to commute on my motorcycle every day. Coldest I have ridden is 12 degrees. It can be done but it wasn't pleasant.

For gear I use a Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket with a rain liner. When it starts getting below 40 I put on a fleece jacket under neath. Joe Rocket Balistic 5.0 riding pants. For gloves I just found a company called Rev'it. I forget which gloves I have they were a little pricey at about $150 but man they are probably the best piece or riding gear I have ever worn. I also have a balaclava from Rev'it to keep my head warm.

Has any one used a Snow Mobile helmet for winter? I am tossing around the idea of getting one.

13. Tiny

Tiny Member

I remember when I was really young (Maybe 5 years old), my dad would ride his 1970 xs650 all year round. It was his only trasportation as my mom needed the car. Ice, snow, rain. He had a full face helmet, a jean jacket and blue jean pants. Thats a tough sob.
    Edit: Really, ropes for the snow? Wow, and my friends call me reckless.

14. PipeDreams

PipeDreams Member

Freakin' Huskers. GAHHHHHH... I STOOD THERE FOR 3 HOURS IN THE WORST WEATHER TO WATCH US DIE!

Everyone is going to romp on us all season. I'm frustrated.

/off-topic

15. fatman123

fatman123 Member

I rode to work in -4c the other day doing 110km on the hwy. did not know it was that cold when i left and did not feel it until i left the city. hands got a little chilli. Got up this morning to snow and ice sheets for roads. Guess its time to pack up and put away. First bike and have only been riding for about 3weeks put 600km on and totaly addicted. Love to ride my seca, love the sound.

16. fatman123

fatman123 Member

just did a quick conversion -4 is like 24 to you guys in the states.

17. Mikko

Mikko Member

Rode about a hour thursday and it was around 30F... It was last time before next spring and got to say it wasn't very pleasant.

18. FastMaxim82

FastMaxim82 Member

last year i road at the begining of the spring it was 19F with windchill. that was a bit too cold. this year i got rid of my truck so gas mileage isn't as much of an issue so i'll cut it off a bit warmer as i road into november last year. pushing some low 30's.

19. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

You guys are hardcore... I guess I need to toughen up since the wife wants to move north... In my youth I would challenge the cold when I lived in Neb. (30s was the lowest) and that was with good gear and a short ride. I second the gear makes all the diff. Ride safe and WARM ;-)

20. XJMalice750

XJMalice750 New Member

Jeans and cut off T's year round. thats how I roll.