1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Cam Chain

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by thebat, Oct 12, 2009.

1. thebat

thebat New Member

I'v got to replace the headgasket of my XJ750 which on closer inspection i now know is s E-II not I as i was told (found a original sticker on the rear under the frame also seen log books and found it is an import first registered in the uk in 1995. This is what you get for buying a bike from your younger brother cos its convienient lol)
    Anyway I dont know any history about this bike but is it worth changing the cam chain while the head is off??
    I am working on a budget but also really dont like false economy and dont know what the life span of these chains should be.

Whats the general opionion on this?

2. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

If taking the head off anyway...I would replace it (my opinion) just so I would not have to mess with it a second time down the road.

If the chain is still OK you can still use it and if it does go bad it can be replace with out pulling the head.

How fast the go bad depends on how the bike was ridden and how well the maintenance was done. My bikes are at 32,000 and 40,000 miles hand no signs of problem with the cam chain.

I read some ware that it tends to be an issue around 45,000 to 50,000 miles but I don't know how accurate that is.

3. thebat

thebat New Member

Well I'll check the miliage and have a look when I got it apart, found a chain for about £50, not end of the world stuff but £50 i could spend else where at moment ie new shocks or somthing.