1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ride-on

ride-on New Member

Just finished changing out the speedo and tach unit, hope it works. Still trying to figure out how to fabricate or modify my KG luggage rack to fit on my xj 1100 with out making it look like I did the work??? It still is raining in Indiana, so back to the drawing board. Ride-On

2. pirok

pirok Member

The season is at it's end. I've rode 7000km this summer! I thought if I were realy good I would ride 4000 km - so maybe I like to ride on that thing. Cleaned it and changed the oil when I got back from a ride this beautiful sunny sunday in October, but it was a bit cold though.

3. yardape

yardape New Member

climbed on and rode it in to work, looked like rain but the bike gets better mileage so to heck with it

4. ride-on

ride-on New Member

Well the wife and I decided to go for a ride without the windshield and with half helmets. Back to the house to install the windshield, with the half helmets the wind like to lifted my head off. Had to install the windshield after putting on the new (old) gauges, speedo works but now the tach doesn't, well maybe bad connection or have to us the old tach. Windshield installed and it starts to rain, I guess we was not supposed to ride. Can the old tach be swapped into the other cluster without alot of detail?? Ride-ON

5. maximike

maximike Member

Put it back together after cleaning and lubing speedo (again). While I was at it, I did the battery warning bypass, running the wire that used to go into the battery cell(it ended in a cut wire under the seat, I found out) to the tail light wire, with 2k Ohms of resistor. That got rid of the "batt" warning. My red flashing light had never worked, I assumed it had been disabled, I was gonna fix that too, but turned out bulb was just loose. So now, no warnings on computer, warning light works, like if the stand is down, or whatever, and hopefully speedo won't start making that noise again. Also would be nice if it were accurate, but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Chunga836

Chunga836 New Member

Yesterday:
    -New Friction Plates in the Clutch
    -New springs as well

Today:
    -Fixed electrical issues with a quick clean down of connectors
    -Plan on freezing my butt off in the 33 degree weather for a ride.
    -Make a list on what I need to do to get my baby shining (Now that it works, it has to look good)

7. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Woohoo, thread is alive again....

Nothing ,much lately, carbs cleaned, and carb hats painted with faux chrome
    Look pretty good....

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Took the TCI off and re-soldered all points in it. Just to be sure the 26 year old solder wasn't bad lol

9. dfknoll

dfknoll Member

Well i didnt do this today but i havent had time in the past to weeks to talk about it because of college.

-New headlight
    -New blade type fusebox
    -Rewired connections to fusebox
    -Cleaned every electrical connection of corrosion i could easily reach and put on a healthy coating of die electric grease and electrical tape

10. huckersteve

huckersteve Member

Handlebar Swap!! Pics up in XJ Mods..

11. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

I'm back on the fabrication kick again the girlfriend wants to ride along this year so custom quick detach rear seat is in the making. Took off exhaust, seat, shocks, rear blinkers, rear fender, and ordered some new parts from len, fork rebuild and valve cover doughnuts on their way. I also comendeared more blue led lights from work. :lol:

12. robbo

robbo Member

changed out steering head bearings for taper roller bearings.quite staightforward only problem was seating the bottom cone as it kept pulling in at an angle, took a few tries before ok.

13. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Got ready to put my new starter clutch in from xj4ever, and broke a bolt for the chain guide. Can't drill it with standard bits because the drill hits the side of the case and wants to push the bit sideways. Ugh. Time to buy some long drill bits I guess. Man, I'm ready to hear this bad boy run.

14. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

Try using some long needle nose pliers to see if you can get ahold of it just enough to turn it out. I thought I was going to need to drill out a bolt but found that the needle nose work.

15. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

Iaking her out for a little spin today!!!Still need to do valve adjustment but this is the warmest day of the year so far.Good bye snow!!!!

16. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy Member

Ordered new ignition and valve cover gasket. Put final coat of primer on gas tank. Should be warm enough to paint on Sunday. Sun finally came out in NE Ohio, haven't seen it in weeks...wont be long now till vroooom

17. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

I did nothing today cause it didn't get as warm as it was supposed to.... Hopefully Monday will be 10 like "they" say it's supposed to be.

18. Hack

Hack Member

Topped up the battery with distillied water, installed new plugs, got 'er started with a bit of effort, and then noticed oil running down the front of the engine!!! Turns out I didn't have the gasket installed properly when I put the valve cover on after the shim adjustment...Oooops! So tomorrow will be wash, start, and look for leaks :?

19. dustinb

dustinb Member

Replaced the rear drum brakes.

20. Strick

Strick Member

set float hight, bench synched, polished engine side covers, replaced throttle cable, installed new signal lights and took her for a 30 minute ride