1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Changing from two piece handle bars to one piece bars

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by maxim1982, Oct 21, 2009.

1. maxim1982

maxim1982 New Member

I have a 82 xj750 j and want to get rid of those aluminum two piece handle bars. Has anyone changed there bike to regular handle bars? I work in a machine shop so i can make any part i need. I allready have a plan but i just want to see any pictures of anybodys elses work.

2. NORMFERG

NORMFERG Member

I was looking at pictures of the 2 pc bar system. It looks like the upper triple tree is completely different. Perhaps it would be easier to pick up the one piece triple tree top. They are plentiful on e-bay.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i did that, there's pics of the bike in my gallery but none of the risers
    i used risers from a seca and made a 3/4 inch spacers to bring them up a little more
    the master cylinder might be at a bad angle if your new bars are too flat

4. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I swithched mine with XS400 risers, if I remember right I had to drill the tree and then make a spacer to make them tighten on the tree. I don't have any pics but, it was pretty easy to do. I machined the spacer out of like 1" round stock about an inch tall.

5. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

OK found a pic, kinda show it in my gallery

6. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

I skipped the risers/handle bars and went to handlebars with the riser. All it took was to enlarge two holes on the triple tree. I upgraded to 1" bar and new controls as well.
    pic of revised top clamp of TT

just in case you (or anyone else) wants to change to 1" HD style controls here's the wiring diagram/thread I used to get everything working on mine

7. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

Is the two piece a clip on style, or do they mount on the top triple tree? If you don't have the mounts on the top triple tree for the handlebars, just swap out the top with a Seca. My bike has the one piece handlebar like most bikes, and the bar mount looks similar to the Harley style. I was thinking about putting a set of risers or going with the two piece on my bike. The one's I have seen have like a girder that clamps onto the shock just under the triple tree, and the handlebar bolts to the other end.

8. maxim1982

maxim1982 New Member

After geting it all torn apart i realized all i needed was a set of risers and a set of handel bars witch i picked up at a swap meet, made two mounting studs and a'm back in business.

9. wlsmoku

wlsmoku New Member