1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Flasher relay assembly

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Scrape, May 17, 2007.

1. fonz

fonz Member

Hey Scrape,
    Thanks for the picture and the wiring description. I bought one relay that didnt work then found one that looked exactly like the one pictured and then that didnt work. Looked at your wiring and saw the brown/white and yellow/green wires were reversed so I switched them and now it works.

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

I'll pass on the request.

3. bottlecape30

bottlecape30 Member

Went to advance auto and picked up the relay flipped the yellow and brown/ white wire and my blinkers work again.
    This should really be a sticky i had to search for a while to find this.

4. Scrape

Scrape Member

Thanks for the thankies everyone! :)

I don't even have my XJ anymore...with regrets...but an old thread lives on to save others from undue trials with their bikes. I'm glad that I could make a worthy contribution to the forum and also not "ghost ride my bike into the river" either. LOL It's kind of strange that I decided to lurk about this morning and see this thread without having subscribed to it. I came back to this forum to trade some stuff a few weeks ago and by chance just clicked on here and started to read some threads out of boredom. Many things learned here apply to other bikes also and this forum is packed with good info and a helpful membership sharing their experiences. I'm sure that if you made other good info here like this thread a sticky, you'd probably have pages of stickys cluttering up the place. Maybe someone could write up a FAQ sometime to include this information. I made a good title for the thread anyway to help those in the search mode find it easily.

I credit most of my flasher relay information and results to luck and desperation. Believe me, it was a shot in the dark accomplishing this task and by no means was it done with a vast knowledge of electronics. I'd feel a lot better about this contribution if it was skill that made it possible. I expected to possibly see some smoke trying this stunt. LOL I felt like MacGyver (old TV show) after I got my turn signals to work. MacGyver probably could have done it cheaper by using paper clip or something carried in a womans purse.

5. blame_the_po

blame_the_po Member

will this electronic flasher keep led lights on all the time, then flash when necessary? Right now my leds only go in when I flick the switch.

6. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

i dont feel like hunting it down on the wiring diagram, wheres the flasher relay on the bike?

7. xulf13

xulf13 Member

It's right under the tank.

8. xj750

xj750 New Member

alright I just bought my first bike and its an 82 maxim 750. I went to replace the bulbs in the gauges b/c they were burnt out. Afterwards, my turn signals come on but don't flash, but if I play with the wires behind the headlight they will flash which makes me believe the flasher is fine. any ideas? or how about a wiring diagram??

9. bandreso

bandreso New Member

Hey XJ750 did you ever get your issue figured out. From the sounds of it to me I'd bet there's something shorting out in your bucket making the lights just short to always on? Then when you play around you break that short?

I'm no expert like some of the other guys on here, and have been in and out of this page to work out my own turn signal gremlins as well! BTW that flasher at advanced auto is still 10 bucks 3 yrs later and worked like a charm! Thanks for all the great info Scrape, even if it was just luck. It was a life saver.

10. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

Does anyone know what model bike Scrape did this mod on?

11. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

i cant remember a while ago i tracked down a thread of his tracking all his build progress, but its supposed to work on alot of models it should work on yours

12. bandreso

bandreso New Member

Wesley,
    I'm not sure which bike Scrape used this mod on, but it will work on your 82 650. That's what I'm riding. I had real problems trying to pull the wires from the stock clip with my bobby pin tool... one came out with effort, one ripped :x :roll: , so then I said EFF it and cut them and put on some new female connectors to accept the relay. Wire it up just as described and worked like a charm! :D

13. XJ750RNEWBIE

XJ750RNEWBIE New Member

I just have to say thanks to you Scrape! Part Number EL13 worked great and only cost me $7.99 to get!

14. sappha58

sappha58 New Member

I have been tearing my hair out for MONTHS trying to figure out where my turn signal flasher was located. One picture shows near the battery, another shows under the tank, but they're all amorphous in saying exactly WHERE the thing is. Now, at least, I know which part to get: an EL13 flasher. Take the tank off, find my old flasher, and replace.

So far I've repainted the bike (Duplicolor Metallic Blue Flake), rebuilt the starter motor, and now tackling the turn signals. This is a great bike!

15. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Added to "Sticky" section

16. Jumoikin

Jumoikin New Member

This is a great trick. I was working on my blinkers for a couple days now and i joined here last night and now my blinkers work. next step is to strip down my extra wiring harness so i can get rid of my busted up headlight and atari box.

17. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Hey Thank you! I was going to try it before I read this post. But I wasn`t sure if it would work or not. Now, thanks to you, I know it can.Thanks, Sandy. : )

18. Shleprock

Shleprock New Member

19. Pazalas

Pazalas Member

if it is other signals you want. (prob gonna catch hell for this) go into the flasher and bend the floating contact up and down till it works. Doesn't take much of a bend. Got ninja turn signals on the 550. otherwise great part to know of if i need to replace it.

20. Shleprock

Shleprock New Member