1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

almost done!!! 81 xj 550 (moved tread)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by roddyxj, Nov 19, 2009.

1. roddyxj

roddyxj Member

Im moving my tread to the mods. I would like to hear how would you call this mod.. is a mixture of old and new i have always been thrilled by the look on all the old perfofmance bikes including dragsters,cafe racers and GP bikes specialy yamaha also I like bobbers specially from japan after some time looking for a built i saw an add for a bobber proyect for sale and i got it why?? the bike was all banged up but it started right away.. lil did i know anything about the xj or how it performed i gave it some though i almost did not start but after reading a couple of facts i had to give it a try. this has been a great choice!!!! take a look...

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=21457.html

Attached Files:

2. classicracing

classicracing Member

I love the style. I'm doing a Vulcan 750 with almost the same look but with inverted forks. The only gripe I have is the numbers on the number board. I think it'll look much better with the Roberts' number style, like this:

[​IMG]

3. schooter

schooter Active Member

very sharp!!!!

I like the numbers on it, but please shine up the engine.

also, whats with the goofy air intake system on that thumper flat tracker?

4. xdjfrick

xdjfrick Member

stupid question: when you guys build these customs, do you guys omit the rear shocks and springs? are these hard tails?

5. xulf13

xulf13 Member

In this case Yeah.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I see no front brake (and very little tread on the rear tire.) It's still a 100mph bike, and stopping it using ONLY the drum rear brake is frankly just downright dangerous. Especially with no functional rear suspension.

Since the disc is still there, I'm hoping you plan to install the caliper and MC soon.

7. parts

parts Member

YOU HAVE DONE WELL GRASSHOPPER.

8. Plumber

Plumber Member

maybe i'm a purist or something but i have always considered struts to be a total waste of time and a clear lack of commitment.

you have built an awesome looking bike and clearly have the skill to do it right so why stop short of commiting to your design? its a shame you've lunched out and gone for struts.

even so as i said fantastic bike

9. roddyxj

roddyxj Member

if you are talking about mine front brakes have not been installed yet in the pict but they are now. the rear struts will be changed for some better which im still working on. is a drag style therefore struts is what is true to that style specially in the late 70 and early 80's..all drag bikes had no rear suspension..
    and at the end of the day im not looking for comfort, im looking to make a statement with a bike that is seldom used to customize and only a few come up with something that is really worth seeing... think that this bike was customized in a garage in 1981 to race in the local drag track with the resources an average joe had at that time that was the goal, and i think i nailed it... what do you think?
    thanks for looking!!!!

10. xulf13

xulf13 Member

I'm loving 90% of it. i think the seat cowl looks great. the paint scheme and those white wheels look great. Do please get a better rear tire though. As far as the struts go, get some made out of tubular steel or something along those lines.

11. roddyxj

roddyxj Member

that is exacly what we are doing we are making them in a machine shop out of a thick peice of alluminum and i mean thick almos as the size of the shock and they wil have a bushing on each screw to absorb some of the impact as far as the wheel goes im geting one before hitting the road i just havent found the one i want... thanks for looking out!!

12. 3784rider

3784rider New Member

i think its would go pretty good for the track as some poeple think bikes are just for the road(above),normally they dont have pot holes on a track ,has you guys not seen a slick tyre?????

13. aubcivil98

aubcivil98 New Member

I typically don't care for the chopped/cafe/etc bikes but man, your's looks good.

Well done.

14. Plumber

Plumber Member

my issue with strutts is'nt the lack of suspension, its the lack of commitment to going all the way with a real hardtail, they always just look so unfinished.

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes, but that's not a "slick" it's a worn out treaded tire.

And I have yet to see a "bobber" such as that built for track work.

16. roddyxj

roddyxj Member

i agree to some extend but with all respect to all who have hardtail their xj's i think they look to short and the angle in most to is to aresive to me personally looks kid of wack and is a style tha does not fit with the style of an xj or the era .. all though 550's off all xj' would be the one to hard tail like a very nice one i saw here... is not what im looking for if i want a hardtail i want an xs 650....

17. roddyxj

roddyxj Member

( sorry) I agree to some extend but with all respect to all who have hardtail their xj's i think they look to short and the angle in most to is to aresive to me personally looks kid of wack.. and is a look that does not fit with the style of an xj .. all though 550's off all xj' would be the one to hard tail like a very nice one i saw here... is not what im looking for if i want a hardtail i want an xs 650....

18. 650Rigid

650Rigid Member

I'll second both Bigfitz and Plumber. When running properly, your bike should go 70 or so mph. Then you have to shift to 3rd! Get a good rear tire on that and get the front caliper on and functioning before you ride it.

Also, don't keep the struts. Either hardtail it, or put shocks on it. I'm not just talking about looks, it's your bike and how it looks should only have to please you. I'm talking about safety. I had my bike strutted for about a season and a half before I decided to "commit" as Plumber said. When I disassembled the bike and hacked the rear portion of the frame off, I had the idea to use the stock tubing, upside down and side to side to build the hardtail, but ended up throwing it all away and buying new stuff when I blasted the paint off to discover several cracks on the stock portions of frame. The stock rear portion of an XJ frame is lighter tubing than the front section. It's not designed for taking hits from bumps or potholes without shocks to absorb them. I couldn't guess how much longer the frame would have lasted, but I'm much happier to say I didn't find out......

19. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

I love it! Looks sweet..

Rob