1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

speedo/tacho problem?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ianthrax, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

I just bought an 82 seca 750 from a friend of mine-we had some problems and had to put it back together really quickly. after getting it back together the speedo/tacho doesn't work!! The cable is in-but i'm not used to working on bikes. does anybody have any suggestions?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

I've checked that out. My Speedo doesn't work at all and my tach works about half the time. That helps as far as when i'm ready to work, but i really didn't know where to start. From that, it seems like i may just need to lube but didn't want to take it apart without having some direction.

I guess i didn't realize it was a common enough problem that lubrication is all it probably needs-if that doesn't work i'm thinking just look for a new can set.

BTW-i wasn't around when u post that, but thanks for doing it anyway, it'll make my job MUCH easier!

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

OK, well the speedo has a few parts to it:

There's a gearbox at the wheel that spins a cable that spins the instrument.

First diagnostic step is to remove the cable from the back of the instrument, and let it drop down enough so you can see the end. Then elevate the front of the bike and spin the wheel (forward) you should see the inner cable turning. If it's not, then you may have a broken cable or a problem in the drive gearbox at the wheel. If it is turning, then you need to investigate the instrument itself.

I believe the tach on your bike is electronic, so intermittent operation could be a need for lubrication or a wiring/connection problem.

5. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

Awesome-you saw my other, more immediate problem, that i'll have to tackle first now...as soon as i get it starting properly i will start with the tach/speedo

of course, checking if the cable is broken will be pretty easy, so i can do that-i'll let you know my progress.