1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What is a motorcycle? Just Kidding. Trip planning advice!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by chuckles_no, Dec 31, 2009.

1. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

So my wife and I are planning 2 vacations this year. One is going to be by plane so no advice needed there. At least I hope not.
    The other by motorcycle. I Will, of course, be documenting and posting the motorcycle trip.

I ride an xj550. I have owned a 650 turbo seca, fj600, xj 650 maxim, suzuki gs 650, and a ton of old dirtbikes, 4 wheelers, and other motorized fun things in my life. I have never totally killed a Yamaha motor. The xj550 I own now has been the most reliable beast I have ever planted my ass on and I trust it.

I am going to be riding from Burlington WI, about 20 miles south/west of milwaukee to Maryville TN just north of Knoxville. While we are there we are going to ride the Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap. The round trip will be on country roads (avoiding freeways) and will be about 650 miles each way. Plus there will be a lot of riding while we are there. Now this is the deal... Its going to be a 2 up ride. My woman and I on the bike with 2 throw-over bags and the luggage rack packed with what we'll need.

The rear suspension is going to be set for max weight which is 450 pounds. I weigh 140 lbs (very skinny... Haha) soaking wet, and she weighs a bit more. Add another 60 lbs of luggage and you have a haul for the 550.

Over winter and before the trip I am having the valves inspected and adjusted, will be replacing the wheel bearings, rebuilding master cyclinder and caliper, already have new sprockets, chain, and rear brake shoes. Carbs were just rebuilt and rejetted for the Mac 4 into 1 which will be installed by then. Compression is still nice and strong but the motor will undergo inspection by a very trusted shop (Redline in Kenosha WI... They specialize in old metric bikes)

Also want to rebuild the swingarm and clutch (the clutch started feeling a bit soft toward the end of fall) and have the transmission fully gone over. A full engine rebuild would be very premature at this point. All cables will be replaced with the stainless steel cables (for looks :) )

Ok... so while the bike is in the process of undergoing all of the maintenance and the cosmetic makeover, what am I missing?

2. schooter

schooter Active Member

stainless steel lines for the brake- According to those who switched, 100% improvement

engine rebuild is out of the question, 1 parts, 2 at 60,000 miles you're supposed to tighten the cam chain, so really, these bikes can go 200,000 miles or more without a rebuild, just maintenance

but it seems like you're making that bike pretty much new again.. so i dont know what else

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Well there's no way to GET TO the transmission without splitting the cases; and you have no reason to do that, so don't worry about "going through" the tranny.

You didn't mention tires; make sure they're not "aged out."

Other than that, it sounds like you're good. I know I would have no trepidation about riding either one of my 550s that distance now that they've been gone through. Make sure you take a can of chain lube, and a wrench big enough to get the rear axle nut loose. Loaded like that you will probably need to adjust the chain a couple times during the trip.

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You're a brave man, tackling "The Dragon" with 300 (?) pounds of extra weight on the rear of a 400 pound bike ??

I know your skills are up to it, but it's still quite a challenge.

5. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Re: What is a motorcycle? Just Kidding. Trip planning advice

Haha... well, I am going to ride the speed limit when i'm loaded up but plan on going through it by myself a couple times too. She'll understand. Haha.

6. ridenfree

ridenfree New Member

watch out for law enforcement officials at the tail.they are thicker than fleas on a dogs back and dont like motorcycles http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

7. ridenfree

ridenfree New Member

watch out for law enforcement officials at the tail.they are thicker than fleas on a dogs back and dont like motorcycles http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

8. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

Re: What is a motorcycle? Just Kidding. Trip planning advice

Yeah I have been hearing a lot of that. But I am willing to bet I won't be going too much faster than the speed limit... at least for the first few times on it. I know I can ride it... can ride it well... which means I have expectations stemming from what I have seen and read... meaning there are going to be suprizes... which tells me to not go gung ho on it. LOL.