1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I got lights, I got Camera and No action...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Slammy2k10, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Slammy2k10

Slammy2k10 New Member

been tinkering around and now all lights ,horn work. Now when i hit the start button the oil light blinks but im not gettin any noise down in the starter end.

could i have blown the starter ? could the new and used solenoids i have both be junk ? any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Soon as i figure this ou i can send the carbs out and work on de-rusting the tank

2. markie

markie Member

3. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

If when you press the start button, you hear the solenoid click, then you might have a bad solenoid. But if it is brand new, I would say the problem isn't the solenoid but in the wiring. First, go through and chech all of the things Markie mentioned in the thread he posted. Make sure it is in neutral. Put the bike on the center stand and lift the side stand. Check the side stand switch to see if it is sticking. Check the clutch switch to see if that is sticking too. This is a mistake I always make and get just in the nick of time before major panic sets in... make sure you "kill switch" is NOT in the off position.
    If you did all of that and the bike still isn't doing anything when youpush the button... Put your ear by the battery and press the button. Make sure the bike is in neutral, of course. Listen for a clicking sound. If you don't hear that, Then it is probably a connection problem between the ignition button and the solenoid.
    Make sure you didn't forget to do anything when you replaced the solenoid. I had done a huge dumb-dumb move and forgot to plug it in after connecting the cables to the posts.
    If all looks as it should... just quick try the arcing thing. I always use a key but a screwdriver will work. I am guessing if you are at this point, nothing will happen. If nothing happens, follow the whole system back from the battery pos lead that connects to the solenoid. Check all of your connections. Look for anything loose, bare, damaged, etc.
    If everything still looks in order, Take the seat off the bike.
    Turn the key to the off position. Put your ear over the tool tray under the seat and turn the key. You should hear a clicking sound, a lot slighter than the one you hear when youpress the start button. The sound is quiet but still unmistakable. If you don't hear anything PM me.

4. Slammy2k10

Slammy2k10 New Member

there is no click noise when i tap the start button. And when i jump the relay here a small thud .

5. markie

markie Member

OK do you have access to a volt meter/ multimeter.
    It actually sounds like more than one fault and you definately want a wiring diagram.(You may have a manual). One of the forum members has added many different models of xj wiring diagrams to his personal web site. "Search" for his post - which was only last week.

If you think about it - there are two paths to check - the heavy current side, from battery to solenoid and starter motor AND

The light current side, from the ignition, through the kill switch and safety relay(s), to the control side of the solenoid. I believe that for all xj's, the start button grounds the solenoid coil.

Jumping the solenoid should result in the starter turning, regardless of any relays or cut- outs.

Check the battery condition (Electrolyte levels and charge) first of all.

6. treefort

treefort New Member

Not sure if this was mentioned in the linked post, but have you checked the kickstand safety switch? It was, in all probability, an issue with mine.

7. Lou627

Lou627 Member

If he jumped the solenoid and the starter doesnt spin, the problem should be confined to the starter or starter clutch (that is, if your battery is good and charged...).

Take your starter out (two bolts, remove 'em and pull it out), along with your battery, and put them on your bench. Ground the battery and touch the lead from the starter to the pos terminal. Does it spin?

If not, you're problem is probably your starter. If it did, possibly your starter clutch. Check it and let us know...