1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Carburator disassembly

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mhatfield, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Mhatfield

Mhatfield New Member

OK, so I decided that if I want it done right to do it myself......ya'll hold my beer and watch this......

Anyway, I am disassembling the carbs on my Mikuni carbs from my 85 MaximX.

Every thing is going fine (a couple of stubborn screws as usual) I am stuck on two fuel mixture screws, apparently the last owner had some work done, or did it himself, and #1 and #4 are chewed up pretty bad.

Before I get testy and totall round them off, anyone have any tips or tricks on getting them out? Worse case is I drill and tap them out, then order new ones from Yamaha (unless chacal has some of those too).

I am about to order another set of carbs from chacal, and hope to have them within a week or so, but was hoping to ride until they got here.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

2. treefort

treefort New Member

Perhaps all obvious point, perhaps not. Nevertheless:

1. Soak them in penetrating oil.
    2. Use a quality (I, personally, prefer Snap-On) bit to try to remove them.
    3. Perhaps, a screwdriver with a vice-grip attached to it perpendicularly for more leverage and a firm hand on top of the screwdriver putting downward pressure on the screw.

Good luck.

3. markie

markie Member

If the heads are getting chewed as you try to remove them - go clockwise for 1/4 turn to break them free.

4. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Once you turn them in, use a carb cleaner or air(with glasses/goggles on) to clean out the threads for it. Most likely has some trash in them.

5. yamaman

yamaman Member

Yes, soaked qtips or pipe cleaners, or an actual gun barrell cleaner or something like that. If its soft metal, maybe you can make a new cross line, like a new slot for a screwdriver to fit in. Maybe you'll go through 10 xacto blades doing it but you might be rewarded

6. seaguy

seaguy Member

I have rounded out some phillips screws on my 650 and I got them out by using a square drive bit usually used for deck screws. Hammered it into the hogged out screw head and it did the job. I think the hammering also helped .

7. Hack

Hack Member

If I have room, I use a spring loaded center punch on the head of the screw a couple of times. Kind of like a mini-impact scenario. Sometimes that has made a huge difference.

8. jvswan

jvswan Member

Boy, I sure home Mike still isn't trying to get those screws out after six months! LOL

Good advice, y'all, for anyone though.

9. treefort

treefort New Member

.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suppose I should have checked the date of the original post.

...I'm new here. 8)