1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

idle problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cmac992000, Feb 3, 2010.

1. cmac992000

cmac992000 New Member

not sure what the problem is think it might be carb. when i start the motor i have to use choke and have to leave it on prob. like half the way rpm way to high help me please

2. skillet

skillet Active Member

Sounds like carb cleaning time. I had same problem and it made for black sooty plugs. Cleaned carbs and problem fixed. Check the how-to's with pics for the cleaning your carbs...

skillet
    BTW I had never done carbs before and was REAL worried. Follow how-to and it was OK :wink:

3. Krashen

Krashen Member

Had The same problem with my 550 when i got it just foolow the how-tos they do a really good job of going step by step.

4. seaguy

seaguy Member

Ditto to the above. Pay particular attention to the pilot fuel inlet made into the carb bowl you'll see a buldged out thing with a hole in it (engine side). in the bottom of the hole is a jet that takes a 1st (smallest) string of a guitar to fit it. I would bet on one or more being stopped up. Stop by a stringed instrument music shop and ask for a scrap. They'll probably give you a handful. Use gumout carb cleaner with the red spray pipe. Spray n poke, spray n poke etc. eventually you will see it spray out the bottom. If you can't do anygood PM me. I live over in Orange Beach.

5. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

Possibly a vacuum issue in the boots or vacuum caps lok for leaks

6. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

well... a couple of trouble shooting areas are taken care of by the above post. Obviously, even with clean carbs, sometimes, we can experience these same problems.
    I am just learning these things, myself. but I do know, while your choke is half way up, you are going to get the high idle. As the bike warms the idle will probably go way up. Is the problem happening during op temperature?

7. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

precisley, if there is not enough vacuum to pull the fuel without the choke then it will not idle. This is ofcourse with a clean fuel pilot circut. if the circut is clogged or dirty well then, there is the problem.

Vacuum is initially easier to check than a carb break down :)

8. Krashen

Krashen Member

Speaking of boots mine are in pretty bad shape is there a good way to seal them? or Cheap new ones? all i can find is like $100+ i don't really have much cash so any home remidies would be awesome! I did but some sealent on the out side but i dont know if that will do the trick?

9. skillet

skillet Active Member

A member has got a set for sale on the "sell, trade, swap and wanted" page. You might try black RTV. Has worked for a number of folks (and CHEAP)...

skillet

10. midnightblu

midnightblu Member

depends on how they are cracked... ther have been a few folks repair them with success but its alot of cleaning and prep work. I want to say i remember somone splitting them pulling the insert and home fabricating some from home depot stuff... gonna see if i can dig up more information on it.

11. skillet

skillet Active Member

If not mistaken, originally the boots in question were from carbs to motor. The ones you make from plumbing supplies is from carbs to air box :? ...

skillet

12. markie

markie Member

Use RTV sealant with some "Tubes" cut from a bicycle inner tube. (This gives a good finish). I have done this on my XJ600. The boots looked good but there was a couple of small cuts where the clamps dug in. I took a picture and it's in my "Gallery".

The original post problem sounds like carbs to me.