1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Air intake for carbs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cvbnm, Feb 3, 2010.

1. cvbnm

cvbnm New Member

I am riding 85 Maxim X and I recently had the carbs cleaned out. When I finally got my bike back I took it to work the next morning. I work 15 kms away by the time I pulled in the driveway my bike was starting to choke out. I finally got around to fixing it and it seems like the four rubber boots from the intake to the carbs have come loose or not put back on. What is the best way to do this. :?

2. treefort

treefort New Member

What makes you think they are loose? Are the clamps not tight? Is it leaking air?

3. seaguy

seaguy Member

Check to see if the top middle screw hole in the plastic is slotted and if so then the screw should be at the rear of the slot. If it isn't loosen all the air box support screws and get the boots back in their tracks. The box should be moved forward by now. Look at the carb clamps area to see if the boots are on the carbs good. re-tighten (lightly) the air box support screws. If the boots wont stay in the air box then it is warpped in and must be softened with a hair dryer to get it's face pulled back out some. Don't forget to have a fire extenguisher handy just so you want need it.