1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

dominator headlight swap

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by schnarr, Feb 5, 2010.

1. schnarr

schnarr Member

quick question

81 seca with led signals

by removing the big signals and adding LED's, and by removing the headlight and fog/driving light. would i of gained enough extra power to run a dominator headlight (dual 55/60 watt bulbs)

2. schnarr

schnarr Member

bueller??

3. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

Give it time schnarr, someone will chime in soon enough. You may want to try PMing some of the more knowledgable guys like Rickomatic, or BigFitz, or Chacal.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Stock turn signals are 27W each (x 4), but only two operate at any one time, so that's 54W when they're on (which likely isn't too often). 54W = about 4.5 amps.

So replacing the turn signals with LED's (which have "basically" zero power consumption) will "make way" for the additional 55/60W headlight, but.......since the turns only use up wattage when they're on, you're still left with the power-draw considerations issue of when they're off.

Same issue with the stock "fog light"..........it's 35W, but only draws that wattage when it's on. And, I can't remember whether the fog light is allowed to operate when the main headlight is on either high- or low-beam setting, or whether it's a low-beam-only situation.

If the stock fog light can be operated on both high and low-beam main headlight settings, then the system is capable of 60W (main high-beam) and 35W (fog light), or a total of 95W in the lighting system.

Your two dominator lights, running at high beam, are consuming 120W, so you're still coming up 25W (about 2 amps) "short", electrically speaking. Your alternator may or may not be able to handle that load successfully, depending on your electrical system condition.

A better source of "finding" some additional wattage out of your stock system is the tail light bulbs (since they are always on), and they are 8W each (16W total draw). The license plate lamp is also an 8W "always on" draw, so replacing both of the tail-light bulbs and the license plate bulb with appropriate sized LED's will save you about 24W there, bringing your system back to "electrically equivalent" (in terms of constant load) to the stock system.

Additional electrical savings can be obtained from replacing the dash warning lights, as there are 7 of those small bulbs inside your cluster, and they are 3.4W each, a total of almost 24W in savings (only 3 of these bulbs are of the "always on" variety, though).

Be aware that replacing the tail-light bulbs with LED's, with their much lower power consumption, will likely cause you problems with the computer thinking that the bulbs are "out" and lighting the warning signal on the monitor.

You should probably give a lot of consideration to installing the dual headlights with a dedicated, relay-controlled wiring circuit all it's own, or you'll risk melting the headlight switch and gosh knows what else within the monitor that the stock headlight wiring circuit goes through!

5. spltshft

spltshft Member

DUDE!

6. schnarr

schnarr Member

excellent write up thanks chacal im looking for info on wiring the headlight independently but still keeping my factory high beam switch. any infoon this or how to wire it up?

i could careless what the lcd warning crap says I'll cover them damn warning light with electrical tape lol

i'll look into 1157 led bulbs aswell for the tail light

also the fog light is on all the time with low beam

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

You'll need a headlight relay harness, basically it takes power directly from the battery positive terminal, and then the relay is switched on or off by the original headlight switch trigger wires (your original switch LO-HI for the headlight is what is used to "trigger" the low or high relay, and when a relay gets triggered, it then passes the 12V (battery) current "down the line" to whatever device it is controlling (in your case, the headlights).

User POLOCK has mentioned that the computer dash on the 750 Seca may interfere with the switching of the low-beam relay, in which case you need to tap off directly from the headlight switch wires, and not have those wires go through the computer system. You may wish to contact him for further info.........

8. schnarr

schnarr Member

by tapping off wires before the computer/fish finder i would lose my high beam indicator light correct??

anybody happen to have a wireing diagram to create this circuit?

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

pardon the quick drawing
    1 use the wires that go in the headlight plug to run the relays (black in the drawing) and you can't shut off the low beam when you switch to hi beam (the lo wire still had about 4 volts on it, enough to keep the lo relay picked up) don't know why but that's what happened
    2a cuts out the speedo all together, no hi beam indicator, warning light flashes, but the headlight works as it should
    2b never tried this probably same as 1
    3 this might work if the brake/tail bulb could fool the speedo that it is the headlight the speedo might work normally

i just used 2a and took out the warning bulb and went for a ride
    at night you WILL know when the hi beam is on, in the day it don't matter
    another thing to do is run the power for the lights through the aux driving light switch (not used anymore) so you can turn off the headlight when you need the key on but don't want to kill the battery

10. schnarr

schnarr Member

thanks polock,

you would have to wire it into a seperate switch to turn off though or else there no way to turn the headlight off right?

unless you taking your +12 from somewhere else other then direct to the battery

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you had the small aux driving light you have a spare switch
    hint, fill out your profile so we can get on the same page :)

12. schnarr

schnarr Member

lol i always had a spare switch it never did squat though lol the aux light was just always on the switch never did anything lol

profile filled out ;)

13. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

schnarr,
    So did you ever get you Dominator headlights installed and working. Would like to see some photos of your mod if you can.
    I'm looking into a dual headlight mod myself. Just trying to find dual filiment lights that are small enough to work without being too big and gawdy Threre are tons of smaller lights that would work, but I'd kinda like to have the high/low beam option, just because.
    Let us know how things worked out for you. Thanks!

14. schnarr

schnarr Member

its ordered gonna start working on the harness this week most likely. keep watching my build thread to see whats new