1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

gauges on 750 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xj750, Feb 9, 2010.

1. xj750

xj750 New Member

before i aquired my bike it had been layed over. it has the rectangle cluster with the electric screen in the middle, which was damaged. i found a set of circle gauges in excellent condition but they are off of a 650 and do not have the electric screen in the middle just 4 warning lights. Would this suffice?? i know it would sure look better. thanks

2. xj750

xj750 New Member

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It would take some doing. The 650 had a mechanical tach. Better to find a set from a later Maxim like a 700 that has round gauges AND an electronic tach.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The later 650 Maxims ('82-3) had an electric tach, as did the 1983 XJ750 Maxim models. Those could be used on a 1982 XJ750 Maxim, but you'd have to do some fancy re-wiring of connectors, and some of the sensors would no longer be used (battery fluid level, master cylinder fluid level, headlight "check", etc.) and the oil level sensor would need to be changed to the non-computer-dash version, as it outputs a different signal.

We have most of the original plastic connector shells and terminals that you'll need to change-out on your main harness (ouch! hating cutting up original harnesses!), or, even better, you could create some original connector-to-new connector "adapter harnesses" to make the interface, that way leaving the original main harness un-cut.

5. xj750

xj750 New Member

Thanks a lot for the input but ive decided to hold out for awhile until i find a set of gauges that will just plug and go. im not a big fan of wiring but thanks again.