1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 maxim 750 electrical issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xj750, Feb 9, 2010.

1. xj750

xj750 New Member

ok so...when i start the bike everything appears to work properly. then i tried the turn signals and both flashed 3 to 4 times and then stopped while still on. since it hadnt been started in awhile i left it run for awhile and when i looked back at the bike the headlamp had shut off i tried the turn signals they worked fine. shut the bike off and restarted headlight came back on but turn signals returned to previous behavior. Alternator problems?? poor connections??

2. treefort

treefort New Member

I'm no expert, but I would guess loose or corroded connections.

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

Start with the fuse box, if you still have the original glass fuses, best to upgrade to a blade type box.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

It is common for flashers on these bikes to not get enough "juice" to run the flasher with the engine at idle. Nothing wrong with this issue, just bring the rpms up until the alternator kicks in (2K rpm or higher).
    What worries me is the headlight turning off while the bike is running. This indicates a problem. Odds are good you have a loose wire to the headlight relay or the relay itself is in need of attention. You can still buy new from Chacal or you can take the time to open it up yourself and clean it up.
    Very good advice from Wizard, dump the stock fuse block and upgrade at first opportunity. Stupid stock fuse block has a heap of electrical gremlins built in at the factory with a time-release setting.
    Good luck and let us know what you find. Sing out with any questions.

5. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

I also agree that the headlight would be concerning.

I would first start by replacing the fusebox.
    From there, begin checking the connectors. These connectors are known to be corroded on many other bikes.
    Finally cleaning the turn signal switch

This should clear up the electrical issues.