1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Battery

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Pandru, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Pandru

Pandru Member

So i'm getting my bike ready for spring and it will crank maybe once before everything just shuts off, battery is toast. Anyone know where I can find a new battery for the best deal? Thanks.

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sears, AutoZone, Murrays/O'Reilly, most large auto parts chains for around $40. I bought one last summer at AutoZone for $39, here in MI.

3. Altus

Altus Active Member

If you want an AGM type of battery for our bikes, a company called XS Power makes one.

You can get them through Mike's XS site for $50:
    Mike's XS Batteries

When I was in my local Yamaha dealer on 25% off orders day, I checked in there and they had the exact same catalog! So I got it for $38 Canadian (plus taxes of course). It's still on the way, so I'll tell you about it soon

4. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

I just picked one up today from Autozone for about $48

5. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

wallymart for around $40

6. Pandru

Pandru Member

Thanks for all of the responses, are most motorcycle batteries pretty universal for the most part? I was at the store the other day and saw quite a few but they varied in price and I didn't know which would work for the Maxim. I suppose I could take a look at the junk battery I have sitting in the bike right now.

7. Altus

Altus Active Member

No - not universal. There are dozens of different sizes and layouts of batteries.

The 80-83 Maxim 650 takes a Yuasa 12n12a-4a-1 battery, or whatever the various manufacturer's cross-reference is.
    Most if not all of the batteries suggested above are standard lead-acid ones.
    The AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) version I suggested is a different design, and significantly less prone to vibration damage, and can't spill.
    The XS Power part number is 61-2026