1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

??...What to do about my starting problems...??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ianthrax, Mar 6, 2010.

1. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

Ok, so i've been trying to figure out a problem with my bike running correctly for a while and here are my two questions:

1) For some reason when i press down on my starter button sometimes it will start. sometimes it will do nothing. still others if you hold it it will do nothing at first then a second later start. I have checked voltage on the switch and everything was fine. is there something else that would cause this?

2) I believe my main problem getting my bike started is that most of the time the starter clutch does not engage correctly. Is this something something anyone else has fixed? if so, was it worth it, or is it better to just buy one and replace it? I believe someone pointed out this may be what was wrong in another thread, but i never addressed fixing it until now.

2. ianthrax

ianthrax New Member

Also, i have checked my starter solenoid and it is absolutely fine. Battery is new also. Just replaced the fusebox (thanks chacal!) as well.

3. c21aakevin

c21aakevin Member

Sounds like a loose wire or bad ground somewhere.

Check all the connections inside the headlight.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

Ianthrax, concerning #1) I had a similar problem once. It turned out to be the metal disk on the back of the starter switch. Gets a little corroded after a long while. Clean it up and you should eliminate your problem.
    #2) They can be a pain. Sometimes it is as simple as an oil change. Sometimes it isn't and will require splitting the case to replace/rebuild it. There is a slick method of an "in position" repair but it isn't that easy and can be very tricky. Do some research on it, there are a few threads on this topic.