1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Plane bearings crankshaft

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mic-hell, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mic-hell

mic-hell New Member

Hi there,

I'm trying to revive an old XJ900 (31A), and I need to replace the crankshaft bearings (see picture n°3). In the manual, and in the picture there are two types of bearings: one (top) is plain, the other (bottom) one has a groove and three holes in the middle, probably for lubrication purposes. I ordered 5 of each, keeping in mind the colour codes, but the company sent me 10 grooved (bottom) ones, saying the plain ones were superceded. I tend to believe them as more lubrication can't be a bad thing, but I'd like a second opinion before I try to put everything back together.

[​IMG]

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The fiche for the US XJ900RK show that the main bearing has been superseded as you were told.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Sounds entirely plausible to me. The lower shells shouldn't cause any problems. More lubricative potential is always a good thing when parts are in contact.

4. mic-hell

mic-hell New Member

Thanks for your answers.