1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Broken Exhaust Header Clamp

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by britpod, Mar 6, 2010.

1. britpod

britpod New Member

Hey all,

One of the clamps on my 89 XJ900F's exhaust downpipe finally split in two today. I now have the header coming out on one of the downpipes as theres no clamp.

I'm not sure what to do, try welding the clamp back together? Buy a replacement? If I get a replacement does anyone know the part # and / or where to find them? Do you need to cut the downpipe to put a new clamp on?

Any help is much appreciated!
    Cheers!
    James

2. markie

markie Member

It depends where you are! 31A1461200 is the number for a 1983 xj900 but yours is later. Are you in the UK?

3. britpod

britpod New Member

Yeah the UK, 1989 XJ900 Fours, the bikes at a friends garage at the moment so I can't check the chassis number (if its even visible these days, she's been chopped).

Got the Haynes but it doesn't have a parts list so I'm a bit at a loss as what to do to keep that header stuck on :p

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I'm not to familiar with that particular model, but on my 750, the header pipes are just clamped to the collector in the front. I broke an exhaust clamp myself and had slide a new one up the pipe to fix it.
    I guess it cold be welded and ground back to the correct size if your handy enough.

5. markie

markie Member

Try Granby motors on 0115 944 1346 for Yamaha spares. This is the parts dept number.

Otherwise, see if it can be welded.