1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Speedometer and tach for 81 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by terceseht, Mar 10, 2010.

1. terceseht

terceseht New Member

Hey guys! I'm looking to get some new gauges for my Seca (beginning steps for my long term bobber project) and I was hoping somebody would know the answer to this question.

I found a speedometer and matching tach on eBay that I really like and my question is, are the ends of the speedometer cables that attach to the speedometer unit itself like a universal fit? The ones I found on ebay say they are for a Harley, and I've seen many people on here saying they pulled speedometers from other kinds of bikes or scooters and put them on their XJ's. So I'm hoping universal ends is how they work.

Here is the link to the item on ebay.

Mini Crome Speedometer on eBay

These are exactly the kind of gauges I've been looking for and they aren't for too bad a price either. Hopefully one of you know the answer. Thanks guys!

2. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

Connectors for gauges are (unfortunately) not universal. Even Yamaha ones are different between the models. So you will need to be handy with a soldering iron / crimping tool and have a good wiring diagram.

And you want to look for a Japanese compatible speedo too - not HD.

Try MikesXS or someone like that for Jap compatible mechanical speedos, or you could buy an Acewell and wire that up.

3. terceseht

terceseht New Member

Crap that sucks. Guess I'll be paying a bit more than I was hoping to. Unless I can find an old working one at a bone yard that's similar to what I want. Thanks for your help!

4. Raven

Raven Member

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I am looking to do the gauge swap from the fish finder to two minis. For parts, I'm leaning toward the Mikesxs 2.25" speedometer with the indicator lights. The issue, is with the tach.

I have an '82 Seca, which requires an electric tachometer. While Mikesxs sells an electric tach, it's a micro-sized 1.9". Call me picky, but I'd prefer the sizes to match a bit better.

That being said, what type of ignition system do our Secas have? The mini tachs I've been finding on eBay are advertized for dual fire ignitions. Here's two, I think they're both Drag Specialties knock-offs:

Option 1

Option 2

Do you think either of these two (they might be the same anyhow) work? If we have single fire, what components would be required to make one of these work correctly?

5. terceseht

terceseht New Member

From what I'm seeing in my manual, and researching the difference between dual fire and single fire ignitions. It looks like these XJ bikes have a dual fire system. Meaning the ignition coil is triggered to fire two spark plugs at the same time, but only the one cylinder that is at TDC on it's compression stroke is the one ignited, while the other one is basically just a wasted spark.

The thing with these XJ's though is that they have two ignition coils that are controlled by the TCI unit. So... It's kinda like a dual-dual fire ignition :) Then again from what I've been reading, it sounds like most 4 cylinder motorcycles are designed the same way.

So I would assume those tachs would work. But I'm not 100% sure myself just cuz of the two coils. Anybody else know about this?

6. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Check out JC Whitney or Dennis Kirk sites. They have the correct tachs and speedometers for your application for a reasonable price. Harley speedometers are not all the same ratio as the Yammies.

7. Raven

Raven Member

I know the ratio for speedometer would be off between Harley and our metrics, but I was planning on the speedo available at Mikesxs (correct ratio).

^PainterD - JC Whitney has virtually nothing by way of gauges; no tachs are even listed. Dennis Kirk has a couple, the least expensive being a Drag Specialties electric tach for about $75. Unfortunately, I'm back to my original question as to whether that one would work (dual/single fire issue).

^terceseht - Thanks for your input...I think I'll try one of the eBay specials, see what happens...I'll certainly report back!

8. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Wrong. JC Whitney has them, both the speedometer and tachometer for our bikes. For about $85 you can have both! Maybe you were looking in the wrong catolog? (Page 69 in the motorcycle catolog)

9. Raven

Raven Member

^link? It's entirely likely I'm a complete idiot...