1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Maxim X 2nd gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by korg815, Mar 15, 2010.

1. korg815

korg815 New Member

So I've tackled the dreaded 2'nd gear problem on my Maxim X. I've been following the instructions as per the XS11.com website.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.ph ... eadid=5090
    Everything has been going pretty well until I got to the part where I slid out the 5'th gear out of the side of the case, and slid out the shift fork shaft all the way out letting the shift forks drop out of the way. Now I'm stuck at trying to figure out on how to remove the rest of the gears out of the engine. I'm unable to remove the rest of the gears because they are impeded by other gears deeper in the engine. I'm able to wiggle the shaft in and out approximately 1/4 in or so, but not enough to allow the gears to lift out with it. I've tried to "gently punch" the shaft out the opposite end of the bearing cover but it won't budge much past that 1/4 inch wiggle room. Am I missing something? Should I punch out that shaft with a bit more force or what?
    Please...any help would be appreciated. Tomorrow after work I will post pics to anyone interested in helping in case my explanation is somewhat confusing, which it probably is.

2. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

First off. Do NOT pound on the shaft!
    Or at least not until you determine exactly what holding up the shaft.
    I have to look at mine, but IIRC there is a shoulder and snap ring holding the other gears on the shaft which will prevent the shaft from sliding out.
    I am not familiar with how the XJ compares to the XS

I'll take a closer look when I get home but if you want to post pics that would help.

3. ZeroBoostBuick

ZeroBoostBuick New Member

I am Korg's younger brother and I'm helping him work on his tranny...

We know of the c-clips that hold the gears in... the problem is that the one set of gears will NOT slide out because it's hitting some of the gears that are below them.

?

4. ZeroBoostBuick

ZeroBoostBuick New Member

How do you remove those shoulders? (they look fixed) that might be our problem... we got 2 c-clips off that we could see.

Not easy... I hope we don't have to split the case!!! :?

Has anyone fixed 2nd gear on a MAXIM X with out splitting the case????

5. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I just got back in from the shop and I'm about 98% sure it's NOT possible.

If you get the clip off, the gear (#13) will NOT slide out. It meshes with the 2nd/3rd pinion (#5) above and is held from sliding out by the 5th pinion (#6)
    There is no way to get the main axle out without splitting the cases that I know of. The bearing is held in place with the clips (#11) that are meshed into the cases once assembled.

Sorry....but I think you're splitting the cases.

How bad is it? you might get improvement for a while by changing the 5th wheel gear and the shifting fork.
    If you are a skilled dremel operator, you MIGHT have luck trying to resurface the meshing grooves in the 2nd wheel (#13) but that would take talent to shape them properly and get them all equal without having it on the bench.

You're this far, split the cases and do it right!
    Its only another...30 bolts and a bunch or other stuff to worry about.

Do you have a service manual?? It's not a job to start guessing on.

6. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

Mike is correct, you are going to have to split the cases

7. korg815

korg815 New Member

Thank you very much for the helpful advice.
    We decided to split the case and dremel the 2nd gear on the bench, and any other ones we see fit.
    Right now we're removing the joint bolts on the shaft drive, or cardon drive, whichever term is more appropriate.
    After that we're going to remove the downtube frame and get started on the engine.
    So 20 minutes more and we should have the engine out, if everything goes well
    Again...thank you very much for the advice.

8. korg815

korg815 New Member

According to my manual absolutely everything will have to be disassembled (pistons, crankshaft, etc..). Anyone know of any shortcuts besides an absolute total teardown?

9. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

I don't think you need to tear apart the top end at all since you don't need to pull the crank.

Remove all the "top side" crankcase bolts in reverse order of their markings. You'll need a box wrench to get under the alternator a MIGHT need to pull the cover off.
    flip it over and block prop it up nice and stable.
    You'll need to pull the crank side covers and the pick up coil along with it's mounting plate.
    Pull the rest of the boltsout of the bottom in reverse order (they are marked in the casting)
    One is hid under the oil filter
    You'll also need to remove the oil pump. Once you pull the three bolts out, the chain cover will slide off. It's jammed on pretty good, but should wiggle off. Then you can slip the pump out.

OH... you'll need to remove the middle drive gear. (don't loose the shims)

I THINK that will let you break the cases and leave all the top end in tact.

10. korg815

korg815 New Member

Fantastic...that's exactly what I will do.
    I thought that I didn't have to take apart the top end, and your clarification was fantastic...many many thanks.
    I really like the job you did on your bike. This next winter coming up I will most likely do a frame off restoration as well, but right now my priority is to get my bike in riding order again.