1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bike not turning over

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by minnMaxim, Mar 23, 2010.

1. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

Nice day in MN this weekend wanted to pull the bike out. It has not been started since winter.

I went to start the bike and it barely turned over three times. After this when I try to start the bike it turns on the oil level light and will not turn over at all. So i changed the oil and made sure it was okay, according to the window it is perfect. Checked battery and it had no water in it. So I replaced it with a new battery.

I am still not getting the bike to turn over at all. All it gives me the is the stupid oil level light when I push the start switch.

I really need some help I am completely frustrated.

2. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

3. markie

markie Member

Right, try bump starting it. Make sure the battery is charged.

If the bike starts, go for a ride then make sure it starts again later.

It could be something on the kill switch side, if the starter makes no attempt to spin at all.

4. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

Thanks for all the help.

I bypassed the starter by going positive cable to starter power. Engine cranked!!! That is a sound I haven't heard for awhile.

I then did the suggestions with the pigtail from the solenoid. There were a few sparks but the engine never turned over, nor did the solenoid click at all. When I do this is it bypassing everything else just to run everything through the starter solenoid and starter?

5. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Yes- - Pure Energy !
    Sounds like you need to buy a solenoid.

6. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

Hello,
    If it's ok i would like to add my troubles to this posting, I am having the same issues. Bike will jump start, stop and turn off bike and she will not start with start button, i get the click but no noise from starter, i have checked the saftey relay, it opens and closes when i test having the bike in 1st and pull clutch, so to me the safety relay sounds ok.... the starter button is broken off, sitting in a cup next to bike for testing purposes :? i have pulled the solenoid pigtail and tried testing as per Gamuru's instructions, nothing happens, no clicking from anything, it's like if the safety relay is open, neutral light on, but no noises, dead sound.... it was getting late so i did not try step 6 yet.... i have new brushes on the way, the old ones measure from 7.5-8.5mm, could this be the cause? bench testing the starter with battery makes it spin no problem, battery has about 2oo kms on it, juiced up to 13.05v. I opened the right side handlebar housing with the idea of switching horn and starter buttons as i have read here previously, screw on left side housing stuck, left it alone for now, however, a quick question is... my diagram shows a ground wire attached to the button inside housing, if i test continuity with a lead on the ground wire in housing and the other lead on the ground wire to bike, it shows no change, when i move the lead from the housing to the handle bars i get a reading, does this sound right?

sorry for the winded message...... and for jumping this posting
    please help.... insurance has been paid, however, too cold for me in the mornings at -2 deg Celcius here, would like to get her ready for April tho.

7. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

One last question before I get a solenoid. Does it make a difference that my headlight does not turn on when I turn on the ignition switch. The tail light is bright as can be though.

I guess one more question, what are some reccomendations on places to buy the solenoid.

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The both of you need to find a really clean XJ or period correct solenoid from your local junkyard, or E-Bay, or buy a replacement FORD (cack- - gag ) brand new solenoid and wire it in.
    Your lawn mower shop will have FORD style solenoidsif you're desparate.

Getting a Yamaha part would be so much better.

9. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

I dont mind forking out for a new solenoid if i know thats the problem, i am just wondering what anyone may think could be the problem is.
    any takers?

10. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

I had that problem too,I carefully disassembled the solenoid and cleaned up the plunger inside it and used some light oil on it,it works like a charm now!!!

11. Labradorian_XJ550

Labradorian_XJ550 Member

thanks for the advice BlackMax, i was looking at that option last night, how did you get that bugger apart? the metal lip around the plastic body seems thick, i tried prying mine apart last nite with flat head screw driver and after 20 minutes or so i gave up trying to open it up, i did notice that after taking all the nuts and washers off, one brass (i am guessing brass) terminal would pop down and back up, the other one kinda sticks, does anyone know if this is normal?

12. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

MnMaxims,
    Ya gotta get that bike (or one of them you have) going so we can ride together this summer!
    You may just have to go the whole route and check the starter switch for good contacts, all those plastic connnectors for good contact, ground wires, etc., starter brushes and the solenoid of course.
    If you in a pinch and want it NOW, you can always use the cheaper route and get a solenoid from a garden tractor/lawn mower at any small engine shop (about 1/3 the price of the factory solenoid) I use one on mine and it's been working fine for years. I just had to cut off the mounting tabs to fit it in the orriginal mounting rubber from the old solenoid, which works fine. PD

13. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

yeah thats normal,if you look closely at the edge of the rim ,theres little tabs that stick out and hold the plastic plate in,I just bent them in.you can always just spray it with penetrating oil where the loose terminal is.

14. minnMaxim

minnMaxim Member

Thanks for all the help. It was the solenoid that was the issue! Now my headlight will not turn on until the bike is running? Maybe I will skip to step nine and take the bike to a local priest:)

I am just glad the thing is running.