1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another example of a bad fuse box.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by davstarks, Mar 31, 2010.

1. davstarks

davstarks Member

I've read a lot of posts about replacing the stock fuse boxes on these bikes. But haven't given mine much though as I have not had any trouble with fuses. Until yesterday. For what ever reason, probably curiosity, I decided to check the clip for corrosion or damage. It looked like new under the cover. Insert disregarding gesture here. I put the cap back on, replaced the seat, and leathered up for a ride.

Turned the key, pushed the star button, and nothing. No stat, no click, and no neutral light on the dash. Can't believe the battery is dead, its been fine all last week. Then I remembered that I was just messing with the fuses. Sure enough, I somehow broke the filament in the main fuse just by handling the box.

That's all the convincing I need. Rode down Dads auto shop and "acquired" a new fuse box from the back room. And its a good thing I did, the old fuse box looked new inside because it had already been replaced once, but they did a piss poor soldering job and the wire fell right out as I has handling it. I could have come apart at any time while riding and I would have been baffled for a bit because the fuse would have been fine. (Elusive broken wire problem)

Thanks again everyone for saving me from another embarrassing roadside breakdown

2. skillet

skillet Active Member

CURSES on the PO...

skillet

3. Ass.Fault

Ass.Fault Active Member

One of the best mods you can accomplish on these bikes. Good for you!!

4. fwright625

fwright625 Member

Easy Mod, too!

5. gitbox

gitbox Member

Of course pressing the star button won't make it stat. :)

6. davstarks

davstarks Member

Judging from that picture under your user name, I'm guessing that you went to the same school as me.