1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

750 Maxim Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by streetbrawler750, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I thought about making a simular intake but add adustable baffles to dial in the right amount of restriction.

2. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Yep, it is going to be gloss black, I was just wanting to see if it ran different, and thought it was time for a photo oportunity...I think there is plenty of restriction not as much as factory but definitely more than pods.

3. MidniteMax

MidniteMax Member

Now that's one individually cool looking ride!

4. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

Looks good Street!!! Did you fab that exhaust yourself? It would be great if you could give more detail on it.... Good work!!

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Hey Streetbrawler, Love that intake idea. Hey, I moved my ignition switch there (hmmm, we think alike!!)
    My idea was to incorperate the filter in the middle of the PVC tubes, (where the air box used to be) so it would be more balanced for the carbs (just me thinking again) It just looks to me like with your setup, the furtherst carb from the filter would be starving for more air than the closest one? ( I could be wrong, just asking)
    Did you ever manage to get it dialed in yet? If so, do a write up on what jets your using and the air screws turns would be nice. Just sayin'. PD

PS: Can't wait to see it this summer.

6. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Thanks guys, I made the exhaust out of an old mac 4-1, I cut the pipes and turned them so they went equal down and under and into 2 then hooked them up into 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe with a small baffle. I didn't take any pictures when I built it, DOH. I wish I would have.
    Hey PD I thought of that same idea with my intake underneath would have liked it there but this was an after thought and my battery is smack dab in the way to go under, I am hoping to play with tuning it this afternoon, I figured the carbs should be able to get the air they need and just adjust it accordingly, looking at intake manifolds on 4 cylinder engines they are similar in design, so I thought I could get away with it. I will definately share my learnings, and short comings once it is dialed in! I am so ready to get it done! Spring fever is hitting hard!

7. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Well I got it to idle, I have to blame the valve shims. Changed all 8, and re synched on the bench, then vac synch and only the #4 needed tweaking. I was impressed with the extra little growl out the pipes. Bad thing is I rode it out to my folks, about a mile and the clutch was slipping bad, got there and notice gas spewing from the crank vent. I really hope my rings are ok. The needles and seats were brand new. The carbs were off the bike the last 3 days the only thing I can think of is the needles haven't had time to seat yet and stuck open when I put it back together today. Now I have to change the oil yet again. It was a brand new filter and oil in Feb.

8. xj550

xj550 Member

I really like what you did with the seat and rear fender. I am just curious, it looks like you have a shut off valve in your fuel line. Why is that?

9. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Haha...didn't you read his post above? It's probably because he doesn't trust the petcock.

streetbrawler750 I took my carbs off for some "extra" cleaning recently, not touching the floats and got gas leaking out only one carb. turns out the tip of the wire on the float needle caught onto the float tang holding it open. Could be something obvious like that. Set them up and recheck the float height to pinpoint the offending one.

10. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Ya the petcock has been modified to eliminate vacuum flapper, the petcock was bad when I got the bike because PO put the shut off on it. Manbot, it is wierd that when I have the carbs off and spill some gas out of them so the floats open(I assume), when I turn the gas on with the pvc intake off I can see the carbs draining fuel out of random carbs all sometimes sometime 1 or 2 or 3, but I just tap them and they seat fine. Is this something that is common? I write it off to new rubber tits finding where they need to be, and hope they will become comfortable over time and seat properly off the bat. I didn't notice the gas leaking this time I suppose because I had the pvc intake on it.

11. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Beware!

Some aftermarket Float Seats need Polishing.
    Some aftermarket Float Needles need Inspecting.

The Wire which fits over the Float Tang may cause the Needle to TILT ... as if the Geometry was off. They're made for "Slim" Float Tangs ... NOT Wide Ones.

Flipping the Wire around 180* Centers it.

12. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Ok, thanks rick, I appreciate it. I was going to take them off again soon, I was going to make sure the floats didn't get bent out somehow and hung up on the bowls. I will definately check that. Heres a couple of shots of my 15 dollar headlight fairing from the swap last weekend. I am still messing with the synch. Have a 4 gauge set, I need to make a yics tool if anyone has a link I would appreciate it. Did a 10 mile test run with it and all but #4 plug was nice and tan like a paper bag, #4 was a bit wet but that is the offending carb to get synched up.

Attached Files:

13. Plumber

Plumber Member

that is one of the sweetest soft-tails i've seen in a long time

14. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Thanks plumber

I am having a hard time getting the carbs perfectly synched, I found plans for the yics tool and am going to be making one. The carbs are close but the rpms hang a little bit still when revved. Also when I decelerate and shfit down I get some small pops out of the right pipe. I checked for leaks with carb cleaner when it was running so I think the intake boots are ok. But I need to check the exhaust gaskets, I think that would cause it, any other ideas.

15. Plumber

Plumber Member

i think you should look at the air distribution from your manifold, maybe consider splitting it and using two pods

16. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Well....plugs 1,2,3 are perfect color and 4 is a bit wet and grayish, I think there would be more problems from feeding the carbs seperate from each other than all together no matter where the intake is actually located, the carbs are gonna take the air they need no matter where the hole they are getting it from's locale. My wifes honda civic is an example, as is most 4 cyclinder cars, the air intake is on one side and feeds across. I don't think the manifold I am using is a problem. It has got to be an air leak that I haven't found somewhere.

17. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I LOVE this bike. I need to get a seat like that. Any tips on how to do it? I don't have a stretcher or any special tools to make the pan. I think I'm screwed. Maybe I can con a fellow member into making one for me :lol: How long are those shocks and where did you get them.

GREAT bike!

18. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Thanks koolaid

They are 10 inches long for a chinese atv, I got them from ebay, 25 bucks for the pair, they are very nice a bit stiff but have a dampner on them, they are not cheaply built. Neopreme bushings, I am happy with them. Umm as far as the seat I have been known to accept cash for labor. I think I could manage replicating it. You would need to weld the mounts on the bike yourself.

I am getting a bit frustrated in finding my air leak. Throttle shaft seal checks out ok, I guess I will order some gaskets for the header. And a colortune maybe.

19. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

I was thinking of going with something like this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sportste ... ccessories

I'm not sure if they'll fit or not, but was going to get them and try them out, but maybe I'll have to rethink that and go with some shorter shocks.

PM me and let me know how much the seat would cost.

20. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Hey, can you take a pic or two of you sitting on your bike? I want to see the riding position with the forward controls, the nifty seat, and the lowered arse...

Thanks