1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another new xj owner

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by kevineleven, Nov 4, 2006.

1. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Recently purchased a 82 xj650 Maxim. First bike in 15 or so years, since I sold off my dirtbikes at age 18. It'll be my winter project or whatever. It currently runs (sometimes) but needs lots of help. You guys have a great forum going here, and I'll be around plenty asking all kinds of questions. I'm planning a total disassembly and rework of the whole bike, with a few custom mods. Thanks in advance for all the helpful info, and answering all of my newbie questions.

2. kbarmansr

kbarmansr Member

Welcome to the boards, glad to see another member from the Ohio area. I am to the North of you up by the lake. There are several others in the ohio area as well. Glad to see you join us, always greatful to see another memeber. I hope that the boards can answer your question, we'll do our best. I have found these boards very informative and a great group to associate with. Look forward to seeing you on the highway...

3. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Yeh, no doubt. I'm really excited to be back on a bike, and will be rolling on the miles whenever I can. I think we have a few nice days left before the frigid cold hits, I'm trying to get out a few more times before I start breaking down the bike to an unridable point. I travel up to Cleveland for work every day, I know there's snow already in some areas. I'm not that die-hard to ride in the snow---yet.

4. bfg1971

bfg1971 New Member

WooHoo!! I just got to take a spin on kevineleven's XJ and it's hot. Now I REALLY can't wait to get a new starter for my Virago so we can go cruising!!

5. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Managed to take a couple pictures and throw them together in the gallery. I have done a few things in the past month or so since I've had the bike--- Changed the oil/filter, plugs, new (used) coils, New Euro style bars with bar end mirrors, changed the seat to a single seater, pod style air filters, relocated the rear signals. Still a bit of work to go before i get it to look how i want, starting with bobbing the rear fender, and eventually paint, maybe a digital speedo. New tires on the way. Probably rework the seat mount and put the coil springs on it. New taillight is on the way also. First on the must do list is fusebox and harness work, the previous owner must have had a factory sponsorship with 3M's electrical tape division.

6. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Welcome Kevin we're just waiting to help.

7. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Wow, how do you like the slash cut pipes?

Nice lookin ride

8. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I like the pipes real well. They were on the bike when I got it so I really have no comparison. I also have shorter turn-downs and some baffled pipes should I want to change it up. I like it how it is for now, sounds super good. Loud enough, yet not ridiculous.