1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need advice for a frozen caliper...

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dusty, Apr 11, 2010.

1. dusty

dusty New Member

I know this has probably been beathen to death from doing a search but I am in kind of a rough situation...

Live up north, flew down to visit my girlfriend in NC and came across an 80/81 XJ650 for a good price...bought it (AHH!)

So I am gonna have to drive this thing back quite a ways and its missing the exhaust (has header pipes but no muffler, was told this isnt a big deal?) the front caliper is frozen I was told and is missing its pad (said the pad was done anyway) and the front tire is a little rough on the sidewall in a few areas...

anyway my first priorty is this front brake...any suggestions? I am assuming it was frozen out since the pad was toasted but it is fully retracted right now.. I dont have any tools but a small ratchet set available down here. If there is anyone in NC that wouldnt mind helping me get this caliper sorted out or who has any parts/tools I could use please let me know! Couldn't help myself, this thing starts right up and the price was right..

I read that a grease gun may help get this caliper going; would something at walmart work? Don't have a lot of cash and just need to get this going as cheap as possible only have about 10 days to get it in order eeeeek

Thanks for any help guys...tell me if im crazy :)

2. ratchetmxr6

ratchetmxr6 Member

Hey there Dusty,
    Sounds like you got a good deal but I would really make sure that both brakes and tires are tip top before any ride.It would be really foolish to try and use a grease gun to get your caliper piston going again,From the way you decribed the pad being wasted I would also be concerned with the condition of the rotor.High heat from a sticking caliper can warp rotors, burn seals and bearings not to mention brake down the fluid depending how bad it got.If you really want to enjoy your bike got a refund on your return airfair and put it twords a van rental or buy the right stuff to do the job right.Youll thank yourself later.Im sure between everyone on here we can come up with the parts you need. Ive got two decent 81 xj750 seca calipers kicking around not sure if they will fit But someone here should know and if not Contact Chacal He can get anything for your bike for a fair price and ships really fast!.Good luck !!!!!!!!

3. gitbox

gitbox Member

Yep, you're crazy.

Get the brakes and tires RIGHT before you drive it anywhere.

Just my opinion...

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

You would use the grease gun with the caliper off the bike, disconnected.
    You would completely clean the caliper, and use new seals.
    You need safe tires, and check the rear- - see my sig line.

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Is the Bike anywhere near Raleigh? If you can get it to my house we can fix it up. I would not recomend riding it until you are sure the brakes and tires are in working order. Without tools there won't be much you can do.

6. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Sounds to me that you are just inviting trouble. The sound from an open header will draw police to you like you had a neon do-nut sign on your head! When they pull you over, if the guy knows bikes, he's gonna see a bad set of tires, no brakes on the front, ask you for reg and ins, then lock you in the back of his car for all the above violations. Also, I think your first response in any braking situation would be to grab a handful of front brake and the way you describe the one that's on the bike you'll probably end up in hospital.
    Find a cheap rental van or get a buddy with a trailer or leave it at your girfriends place until you can sort something out.
    Riding a bike in that condition is a good way to put all your rebuild money into the local police departments party fund!
    Just don't ride it, please!

7. BlackSpanker

BlackSpanker Member

I know what that feels like man. Take the caliper off, take the pads out, use a c clamp to push the piston back. then gently pull the brake lever too far the piston will come out and you will need to bleed the brake. Buy PB blast it is a penetrating lubercant. Now shoot in in the crack between the piston and the caliper wait a minute, repeat 3 times. push the piston back, do this again. Install the caliper and pads, your brake wont stick. Next time you bleed the brakes, pop out the piston and put marine greese on it. Have fun!

8. BlackSpanker

BlackSpanker Member

wish I was there to help you man. Refund your airfare, beg to get credit to the airline (you will be able to do that). Then go on motorcycle superstore and buy tires (they are cheap as hell and free shipping) and brake pads. ^^^I forgot to mention to push the piston back all they way before you install pads. Your problems could be worse, I had a wheel bearing go on me 3000 miles from home. Hope you got a low price on the bike!

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Like other have already told you, ... hooking the caliper up to a Grease Gun will push-out the Piston.

After you get the Piston out ...
    You need to Clean the Caliper.

Paying special attention to the Slotted Groove the Caliper Piston Seal sit in.
    That space you have to Clean down to Bare Metal.

Order a New Seal
    Put it together SLOW using NOTHING but Clean Brake Fluid as a Lubricant.

Good Luck.

10. Alchai

Alchai Member

My piston was frozen when I purchased the bike, too.
    Way I fixed it was pulling it loose using a C clamp to press it in a bit to make sure it was fully compressed, then I used a vaccuum pump on the brake line..
    turned out that the brake lines were just *SO* gunked up that there wasn't any true way to bleed em properly. Once the Vacuum sucked out all the gunk, the brake works now like it's new.

Maybe I was lucky.

11. dusty

dusty New Member

Hey guys.. thanks for all the tips.

I have the tires squared away, the rear brake looks good, the front brakes are working (the pads arent the best), got a windshield and some crash bars just need to find a decent exhaust system and I think I will be all set. Of course I will change all the fluids, and check out all the lights first...anything major im missing?

12. dusty

dusty New Member

Mlew it is in tarboro about 2 hours from raleigh? Maybe I can stop by and we can go over it before the big trip =]

13. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

carefully clean your fuse box clips- - they are brittle, but need to be sanded.

14. RiderXJ

RiderXJ Member

I would suggest a good helmet a padded Kevlar suit, welding gloves. Oh and don't forget your Organ Donor Card.
    Riding an "Unknown" bike for a long distance without making sure EVERYTHING is 100% is asking for trouble. Just my .02

15. shnuffy

shnuffy Member

Can't agree more. If you're hell-bent on taking the trip, take backroads and go slow. Bikes are dangerous enough.

16. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Kinda on the fence on this one. Sure, taking it slow and careful on the back roads may be safer, but in the event that the bike does crap out or pitch you off you could be stranded at the side of the road until someone comes by. On the other hand, going on the main roads could be just as dangerous, especially if you drop the bike. At least if you were to break down there would be lots of people to flag down, including the police. So it's a fine line upon which to make a choice. That being said, regardless of what you choose, there is no good reasoning setting out on a long trip on a bike that is not 100% ready for the road.
    From the above quote the bike is not 100% and you would be (IMHO) still taking an unneccessary risk. I wish you luck on your ride, but personally, I wouldn't do it.

17. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I agree wholeheartedly. It took me 9 months' worth of work to get my "rideable" 550 Seca to where I could be safe riding it. (PO delivered it to my house; based on what I found I can't believe HE was actually riding it.)

Taking a long trip on an unknown OLD motorcycle like that is asking for trouble.