1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Solenoid!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hawksXJ, Apr 16, 2010.

1. hawksXJ

hawksXJ New Member

Hello,

Went to start the good ol' XJ up a couple days ago and it wouldn't turn over. It would only make a clicking sound that I traced to the starter solenoid.

Now if you notice there are four different ports where wires can be connected to on the solenoid. My were connected as follows left-black, right-red, and lower left-blue. The was not a wire connected to the lower right port.

Is that right??? I can't find a wiring diagram so I can't confirm or dismiss that as my problem.

Thanks for any help, this forum is a lifesaver!

2. dusty

dusty New Member

hmm as long as the solenoid is clicking when you press the button it is most likely doing it's job. I had a similar problem on my 82 nighthawk 450...the wire going from the solenoid to the starter was grounding out on the frame, also it wasn't a great connection at the starter bolt itself from that wire. Try checking that out :)

3. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

The two larger diameter wires go to the positive side of the battery and to the starter (maybe want to check that one for being frayed against the frame?) And there are two smaller wires that trigger mine, from the starter switch. If you only have one, I figure it's from the switch and the solenoid is grounded somehow? Just a guess.
    If your solenoid is bad and you don't care to pay $30+ for one, a good alternative is to use one from a lawn tractor. They sell anywhere from $10 - $15 at any small engine repair shop or lawn equipment store parts dept. Mines is going on three years old now with no problem. Just have to find one that fits. Take the old one with to compare.

4. hawksXJ

hawksXJ New Member

Both the large diameter wires, the one going to the positive terminal and the one going directly to the starter, are in good condition. Those are the only three spots that wires are connected, there is no other grounds...

Since I only have the one small wire, should I add another ground to the small terminal? The solenoid is no longer clicking and needs to be replaced because one of the smaller terminals broke off. The only things im worried about is the wiring.

thanks again

1986 maxim xj700

Attached Files:

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you get a new solenoid from Len it will likely have the necessary wiring attached just like the original, making it a plug-in proposition.

That being said, I just looked at my 550s and my 650 and in all of my books and they appear to be all the same: That wire goes to the switch, grounding it is what makes the solenoid activate. There is a second R/W wire on most of the bikes that leads to the safety relay.

6. hawksXJ

hawksXJ New Member

So I replaced the starter solenoid and the engine still won't crank over. Occasionally it will slowly turn over for a few seconds, and then nothing.

The solenoid will click, so I know it is good. I checked all the ground connections/relays and everything seems good. According to the charger, the battery is good.

Where do I go from here? I don't know what to do now even after searching this forum for hours.

Anyone here from eastern Iowa? Multiple cases of your favorite beer would be involved!! :lol:

Thanks

1986 Maxim XJ700

7. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

Did you check the fuse? If its one of the glass ones,they can corrode on the ends....

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Go for the obvious..........get a new battery. Sounds like your old one is toast. Got a booster to put on it for a bit? See if it turns over now. It may start, it may not. The engine doesn't really need a whole lot to turn it over, but it does need a decent battery to turn it over AND fire the ignition. You could do a voltage test-- check the battery by itself, then watch the gauge when you turn the key. What does it drop to?

Dave