1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Upsized my jets! Still running lean!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eparker_s, Mar 29, 2010.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

BigFitz doesn't just hit the nail on the head, he pounds it home with a force hithero unknown to the people of this area, and destined to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology......... :D

2. David3aces

David3aces Member

Use #4 hobby washers found at most hobby (model airplane) stores.
    It's a trick we used in the 80s.

3. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

mud sharks are real!

throttle shaft seals leaking... i am not questioning you, but just questioning, would that be as uniform as it is, cyl to cyl, aka they leak uniformly?

OOOOHHHHH concentric rings
    this is a visible phenomena?

"However, from your own description it sounds like your carbs are NOT truly clean." may i ask, what makes you think that?

4. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

to answer my own question: yes, this is visible, and present, on my bike...
    Len, Whats my new quote number,? :)

5. alexdc03

alexdc03 Member

On my XS400 I replaced the throttle shaft seals and checked every seam and seal for an air leak with propane and carb cleaner only to findI still had white plugs. It was only after I plugged the airbox intake that I could still rev and drive the bike fine. I could spray cabr cleaner or use propane around the boots and it was sucked right in. The intake carb boots don't seal one bit on the airbox side, the only problem is they don't make mine anymore.

6. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Agreed alex, it sucks we can't get them anymore, mine are pretty scraped up from removal, with hard spots. But they do go on the carbs, and stay... for now..

7. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

I need to correct myself. I was looking at a ring in the plastic spacer on the end of the throttle shaft... not the seal itself. didnt know what i was looking at at the time... not sure what to make of these seals (after removing C-clip and washer) on the number 1 side twisting the throttle moves only the throttle shaft, on the number 4 side the outer ring will move also with throttle movement. this is what BigFitz was describing? gonna pull the rack apart will repost in a few...

8. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

Ok, the rack has been pulled. I am looking at the throttle shafts, shaft seals, and plastic washers. all 8 rubber shaft seals are pliable, rubber, doubtfully original. all 8 are one piece, still fully connected between the "inner" and "outer" sealing edges. What I mean is the inner being what rides on the throttle shaft itself, and outer being what sets in the carburettor body.... soooo.....

9. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

i shoulda tryed cutlass's idea first... :(