1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Two new products: one epic failure, one works great!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Apr 25, 2010.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Recently tried a couple of new products I stumbled upon, and thought I'd share my experiences with them:

[​IMG]

Permatex's new consumer-friendly, non-toxic gasket remover DOES NOT work, at least not like the "original" nasty hazardous spray-on version pictured behind it.

The new stuff is a gel, applied by brush, and "politically correct" VOC-free. I tried it on an old alternator cover I have that had a baked-on gasket; it bounced off. The old-school stuff in the spray can took it right off. Pick up some of the old original nasty mean toxic hazardous product before they quit selling it. Don't waste your money on the new one.

Turtle Wax's new Bug and Tar remover, however, DOES work, and quite well. It's a milky, "heavy liquid" about the consistency of liquid soap rather than the watery solvent-based products I'm used to and it cleans bugs and chain lube dots off with little or no effort. Recommended.

2. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

Thanks for the review, I've never been a believer in the "new Freindly" version of solvents. They never work like thier caustic brothers :x . The bug remover does look like a good product though!

Cheers Mac

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I always wondered why people on here thought that new gasket remover was for all gaskets, when it clearly says on the box its only for spray on or spread on type gaskets material. Now I know, it looks EXACTLY like the stuff that does.

I was able to get some gasket remover from NAPA that was a different brand. Don't know if it works as well as that stuff did, but it wasn't good for you, that's for sure.

4. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

evviromentally friendly products usually dont work as well as toxic ones . as far as bug and tar remover never been much of a believer in them i always use wd40 works great even with the lovebugs in the south. for dried up bugs wet a paper towel put it on the splat let it sit for a bit and wipe off

5. vintagerice

vintagerice Member

I like the idea of product reviews on this site. Kudos dude.

I would like to add that S-100 works really well as a dirt and grime remover.
    Rinse the bike, spray on the S-100 let it sit a few mins, lightly scrub heavy soiled area's and then pressure wash off. Really effortless cleaning that looks great. Especially for those hard to reach area's.

Wash less ride more.

Rob

Attached Files: