1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My first XJ (A few issues)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by butchietee, Apr 26, 2010.

1. butchietee

butchietee Member

Hello, I just bought an 82 Maxim 750 for $600 and so far I've been tickled pink. I have never worked on a motorcycle before and I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew. I am a HVAC Tech during the day so I am used to working on things but not bikes (or cars as far as that goes). Issue 1: I was going down the road and heard a high pitches noise and then my speedometer went crazy and stopped working. Yamaha said the speedo is no longer available. Is there any way to get rid of the factory cluster and install an aftermarket speedo and tach? Or any repair options? Issue 2: The bike feels real spunky when I'm taking off but at highway speeds it seems somewhat sluggish. Not sure exactly what speed (speedo problem) maybe 55 but the tach will show aprox 5k and when i gun it it speeds up rather slow and the tach shoots up real high and it feels like it's slipping maybe like if I were holding in the clutch a little. I called a mechanic and he said if it has anything to do with the tranny I'm looking at a grand minimum. If anyone can throw me a bone here I would be forever grateful. Thank You.....

2. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

Welcome!

Your speedo probably needs a good cleaning. It's pretty rare to see them completely die. Also, you could probably find a replacement on eBay for a good price... It's also possible that your cable is shot. Those are also easy to find. You might check with our resident parts expert, Chacal.

The slipping is definitely clutch-related. The cable could be adjusted too tight. There's a knurled adjuster knob on the clutch perch that may need to be retracted into the perch a little bit. See if that helps. If it does not, you're looking at a new set of friction plates, springs, and probably a clutch cover gasket. Maybe $100 in parts, could even be less. Some folks got away with just replacing the springs (less than $20).
    The clutch is a really easy job on these bikes. Even for someone who has never done it, maybe 2 hours tops. You don't even have to drain the oil, just set the bike on the side stand.

3. markie

markie Member

Hi. The speedo could be 3 things - the drive gear on the front wheel, the cable or the speedo itself.

Unscrew the speedo cable from the speedo and spin the front wheel - does the inner cable turn.?

Even if it seems like the speedo is faulty, they can be brought back to life - do a search on the forum as i know bigfitz has written some excellent articles on the subject.

Problem two sounds like the clutch is slipping - does the tacho shoot up really fast in 4th or 5th gear when you crack the throttle open? This can be caused by using motor oils designed for cars that have friction reducing additives. If you are not sure - or the PO can tell you if he used car oil it may be worth a change. This problem has been cropping up a lot lately!

4. butchietee

butchietee Member

Thanks for the input! When I put the bike in first gear the bike jumps forward a bit. I turned the barrel out as far as it would go on the handle bars it helped a little and it does rev way up when I crack it in 4th and 5th. If the clutch is slipping could i be lucky enough that changing the oil would solve the problem?

5. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

"If the clutch is slipping could i be lucky enough that changing the oil would solve the problem?"

Guess its possible...

6. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

Did you adjust the barrel all the way out? This may very well keep the clutch from fully engaging. You need to adjust it in such a way where there's ALMOST no play in the clutch lever.

It's not uncommon for these bikes to jump a little bit when you're putting them in gear -- that's one of the side effets of having a wet clutch. Even with the plates fully separated, the oil between them will still cause them to grab from hydraulic friction. Switching to a thinner oil might help somewhat (I wouldn't go any thinner than 15/40) But, if the bike doesn't jump hard enough to stall, you're probably ok.

If a motor oil with friction modifiers was used, changing the oil may or may not help... Once the friction plates are contaminated, they may never be 100%. You should probably change the oil anyway, so you know what's in the crank and when to change it next.

7. butchietee

butchietee Member

I readjusted the barrel a little and took the bike for a spin and it seemed better but last time i noticed the slipping after about 45 minutes of riding. I will change the oil tomorrow. The worst case scenario I will have learned how to change the oil on my bike.

8. markie

markie Member

It might be an idea to add your bikes mileage to your signature line. Just so we can get an idea how worn things might be

9. butchietee

butchietee Member

Will do. Good tip, it has 45k I'll change it now.

10. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

My money is on a sticking clutch cable....please confirm you have freed it up properly and report back.

11. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

im guessing its probbibly the clutch with 45k there has been alout of use. first off where the clutch is ajusted now do you have any free play in the lever there has to be a little slack or the clutch is partially engaged. run the clutch ajustment barrel all the way in you should have a whole lotta slack in the lever move the lever back and forth see if you feel any binding or snapping like a frayed cable going past a hard spot. if all checks out ajust it back where it was there take it for a ride slow speed about 2500 or so 4th or 5th gear pull in the clutch rev it to about 4k pop the clutch should bog down immeadiatly if the revs stay up and slowly come down probbibly the clutch. im not shure on how you ajust it on the motor itsself on that particular bike mine is an x model. but if you have slack in the ajuster up top you should be good to go on the ajustment . if you think its the cable pull it off the motor lube it up move it back and forth after lubing feel for any hard spots best of luck p.s if the clutch is slipping heading down the highway steady throttle its probbibly fried smell the oil when you change it see if it smells burnt

12. butchietee

butchietee Member

I didn't notice the cable sticking the but lever does seem to be pretty stiff and I did notice a broken spring but I'm not sure how important it is. I tried to attach a couple of pics of it (not sure if it worked)

13. cutlass79500

sent you a pm on attaching pics should get you set for attachments

14. butchietee

butchietee Member

Thanks Cutlass! Your a stud. I hope this works.

Attached Files:

15. cutlass79500

ok thats the return spring its probibly not the problem but you need to fix it if you can. otherwise the clutch engagement dog is riding on the rod the spring holds it off the housing otherwise it will wear faster where it pulls the housing out that compresses the clutch there is a brg there can send a pic if you like out of the manual if you want to see what im talking about pm me with your email i cant attach it here its not a jpeg
    its called a torshin spring yamaha part number is 90508-16459-00 $3.76 dont know if chacal can help you with 1 or not if not its still available

16. butchietee

butchietee Member

I just took it for a spin (49 degrees burrrrr) I brought it to 2500 in 4th and 5th then raised it to 4000 and 5000 and popped the clutch and the rpms dropped immediately and it bogged down a little. I loosened the clutch cable a little more, just enough for the lever not to be floppy. It seemed to be running alot better. When I was in 1st with the lever pulled all the way in and gave it gas the bike still pulled forward a little. Is that normal?

17. cutlass79500

when you pull in the clutch put it in first it might lunge a little going in gear does it roll after its in gear or do you have to hold it from rolling? if so ajust it a little more to get it to stop rolling . clutch sounds fine thats a good sign when it drops off when you dump the clutch . if you run out of ajustment at the lever you can ajust the cable at the other end i believe there is an ajuster on the cable down there . sounds like your clutch issues are about over. but you might want to do the dump test when the bike is hot dont know how long you rode it before you tested it. i remember in my younger days i would go out in the cold like that to check things not anymore for me im a fair weather rider now adleast i hope to be again after i get over some medical problems and can ride again in a month or two

18. butchietee

butchietee Member

Thanks Everyone! Clutch issue seams to be solved. Now to tackle the speedo issue. Cutlass, hope you feel better soon!