1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ground Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by rrseca650, Apr 27, 2010.

1. rrseca650

rrseca650 New Member

Hi All,

First of all great site! It's really awesome and have a ton of info.

I am the new owner of a 1982 Seca 650. I have a couple of questions about problems I'm having with it.

Problem one was the headlight wasn't working when the bike was running. I checked the relay and fuses and all were good. Unplugged and plugged everything back in and the headlight started to work. Turned the bike off and put everything back together to test ride. Turned the bike back on and nothing. The bike now won't even start.

I didn't hear the relay under the tank clicking on when I turned the key on. So I checked that relay out and when I manually ground out that relay the bike starts right up.

So do I have a ground problem some where or is it something else. Any help would be great. Thank!

2. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

I had a similar intermittent problem on my Maxim. these elect systems are fickle MFers i traced mine out to the headlight relay, cleaned up the connector and terminals and it has been ok since,(knock on wood)

if a dedicated ground helps, well... go for it. but it sounds like you are on the right path, just stick with it, and dont skip ANYTHING. you MUST use schematics and multimeter...

but the simple solution could be to find grounding points and clean the dirt/corrosion/rust etc off till clean metal, and reassemble with silicone grease. worst case your running wire to eliminate the CREEPING GREEN DEATH