1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

whats the best tank sealer

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cutlass79500, Apr 23, 2010.

1. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

hey everyone whats the best sealer to use in your tank. i just bought a tank that has been cleaned.put some gas in it seemed ok bike is off to the paint shop. he told me it has a slight leak where its crimped not to the seam. he told me to seal it . question is its had gas in it what do i need to do before sealing it and whats the best sealer to use it has a new paint job so what ever i seal it with hopefully i can keep it off the paint. i figured this would be the right place to ask thanks

2. grmeyers

grmeyers Member

I have used Kreem and POR15. I like both but POR15 was my favorite. I am sure others are just as good. Defiantly don't want to get it on your paint. Make sure you have it taped off real good.

3. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

redkote

4. seaguy

seaguy Member

5. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

I've used the redkote stuff on a tank that was swiss cheese along the bottom. Brazed the holes as much as possible, then used redkote. It was pretty easy to do, and 8 yrs later that tank is still just fine (85 Honda TRX250). Expensive, but no where near as much as sourcing a new tank.

6. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

one of my tanks was sealed they said with redkote but its not red its grey just had a custom paint job put on it it has a slight leak near the front up very high its not a pin hole its not leking at the seam its coming out wher the metal overlaps near he seam. i dont want to take a chance messing up the paint job . i think i fill fill it with waterlet it sit look real hard for any leaks and clean them up after draining and use some fuel tank epoxy hopefully that will do it. ive also had good luck with jb weld key being it has to be clean.any ideas on that. i havnt even picked up the tank yet thats how fresh the paint is. im researching all the products you have mentioned checking testomonials and such they all sound good

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

I just did a tank with the Caswell. Based on what I saw around the filler neck it probably isn't as quick to ruin paint as Kreem is.

The Caswell is thick so you can seal your openings with tape rather than the plugs and gaskets I usually used with Kreem. Down side to the thickness is takes more tilting and waiting to get it to flow to coat the inside of the tank. The Kreem will pretty much slosh around. It was a little cooler than the 70-85 degrees Caswell says is appropriate for their product when I used it.

A downside to the Caswell is it has to be mixed (apparently quite carefully, the instructions strongly stress the importance of using the right ratios). A plus side is you don't have to etch the tank, in fact they claim it works better on the rough surface of a rusty (not loose flakes) tank. I etched the one I did anyhow - The caswell is clear and I just couldn't bear having a coated tank look rusty.

8. dood

dood New Member

POR-15 is terrific. Follow the directions closely. I used a hair dryer to ensure it was bone-dry after the cleaning/rinsing phase. It turned out beautifully, and is still in perfect shape after 7 yrs.

9. johno8

johno8 Member

Caswell gets my nod as well. Unlike XJ Wizard, I did not etch my tank. Now when I fill up, I get to stare at the shiny insides with the rust spots visible but sealed...gives me comfort!

10. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

The one I did was for a customer. I was concerned about having to explain how the tank he'd just paid me to line still "looked" rusty, so I let it spend 48 hours with phosphoric acid in it first.

11. eparker_s

eparker_s New Member

I used KBS coatings bike kit- $45 worked great, but i guess time will be the real judge. Ask me in 10 years.. but its a 3 part process, takes time and attention... cleans, removes rust/etches and then coats. silver metalic finish.