1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Turn Signals only flashing on one side

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by geraint, May 1, 2010.

1. geraint

geraint New Member

Hi, My turn signals are only flashing one side (the right side) and on the left are steady (not flashing) any suggestions what it could be? Many Thanks!

2. Jotr

Jotr Member

got the same issue...check your flasher relay under the tank....I cleaned the contacts and it seems to be working better...won't know for sure until I hook it all back up. Replacements here in the great white north @ the Yami dealer are $83 CDN....an automotive parts shop may be able to get you one that fits the 3 prong connector for a fraction of the price if you can't clean the contacts and get it working.

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Most likely NOT the flasher unit. I would first go to the flashers and check the wiring closely. It sounds like you have one of two things happening.
    1. you've lost a ground wire and it needs to be re-attached
    2. you have a positive wire worn through and it's grounding somewhere. Could be in the harness, but check any loop, hole, bracket, brace, fitting, etc.... that the wires go through and see if there's any wear or fraying. Also, take the lens off and look closely at the wiring inside the housing. Could be loose, rust, etc.... in there. Check the bulb socket itself.

Been there done just about each one of those at one point or another. And not once has it been the flasher relay or unit.

Let us know what you find.......or don't find.

Dave

4. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

Check the connector under the tank,on the left side,mine was corroded and stopped it from flashing...

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Start with the signals themselves; pop the lenses, pull the bulbs and be sure you don't have a nasty corroded mess somewhere. I've found some horrible disasters inside signal assemblies that looked fine on the outside. Make sure all the bulbs are the correct wattage, 27W is stock, anything less than about 24W and the system won't draw enough to flash.

Follow the wiring for each signal back to where it plugs in; check the connections in the headlight shell where everything plugs in together.

Check the connections at the relay (as mentioned above.)

If you replace the flasher with a cheapie from the auto parts store you will lose the self-canceling feature unless you do some electrical re-engineering.

6. geraint

geraint New Member

Thanks everyone for replying - very much appreciated. Will try out what has been mentioned! Thanks!

7. Dezmond

Dezmond New Member

I agree with bigfitz... I had the same problem with my flashers not working on one side. Connectors in the light sockets were all coroded and yucky. We took them apart and cleaned them all up, checked all the wires, put the bulbs back in and she worked great!

8. hslade3

hslade3 New Member

I have this same thing going on - will be checking all of the things you said from bulb socket to relay prongs. Thanks guys!

9. geraint

geraint New Member

Msg from original poster - Turned out it was the flasher unit. Replaced with another unit with same connections, purchased from ebay. Works perfect. :)

10. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I didn't see anywhere what kind/model/year of bike this is. If it's an XJ, the one flasher is used for both sides, and it's used in the same way for both sides. The only reason an XJ's flasher would be the problem in this kind of scenario is if something is different between the two sides (like the non-flashing side has lower wattage bulbs in one or both fixtures).