1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 750 seca bobber trash ( UPDATED)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by tank, Mar 26, 2010.

1. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

$400....you need to figure out a way to get the wife on board with that one. Anychance you can pick it up and hide it until she caves like I did with my XJ? hahahahaha

Did you take a pic of your bike with the harley bags on it? I'd be interested to see it.

2. tank

tank Member

No, didn't take a picture. I didn't even think about it until after he left. I don't think she's going to go for it, I do have the vulcan sold though, the guy's picking it up Thursday, so that might give me some room. I thought about having a friend buying it and working on it at his place then just sneeking it home.

3. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

sell the katana, virago, or sv650 to make room for it

4. tank

tank Member

Katana is in Nashville, pick it up when we go to Gatlinburg, which is about 6 times a year so I can't let it go plus it is the first bike I ever bought. The SV650 belonged to a friend that passed away so I will never sale it and the Virago is a pile of parts in 5 seperate boxes, kind of hard to sale in its present state. I'm going to see if he'll take my S&W .44 in trade that way no cash will be involved and I only paid 350 for it 3 years ago.

5. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Oh, right on.... I wouldn't sell any of those bikes either. Well... I DID sell my first bike, which was a '92 gsxr 750, but I regret it every day. That's why I will most likely never sell it's big sister... '90 gsxr 1100.

6. tank

tank Member

well no go on the XS, someone beat me to it!!!

7. tank

tank Member

Here it is with 8.75 shocks mounted.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

is there anyway to get those shocks to work? Would lowering the front an inch or two help at all?

9. tank

tank Member

No, they won't work, driveshaft is in a complete bind, plus one of them bent under the weight of the bike. I wish I could make them work, love the way it looks. I'll see if I can get a pic sitting on it before I pull them off

10. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

not even if you lower the front end a bit? That should put the shaft at a better angle, right?

11. Toreadorranger

Toreadorranger Member

Might look at a set of 10" Sportster lowering shocks. thats what I had on my 650. they lowered the back about 2" overall.

[​IMG]

12. tank

tank Member

Koolaid, lowering the front would probably put the shaft at a better angle and might work, the problem is that they are not built well enough to be used on the bike. Like I said before, one of them bent under the weight of the bike, THAT IS NOT SAFE. I would not trust these even if I could get the shaft to work. :?

Thought these were going to be 10 inches, but they weren't, just got to get it sorted out and get the right ones :D

13. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

oh shit.... I didn't catch that. Sorry. DAMN! I should have double checked on them and not just gone off of the link brawler sent me :(

There are a few vendors that sell those other ones. Do you want to go with those or hold off for some savage shocks or something?

I emailed two of the sellers to see if they would cut me a deal if I buy two sets. Then I could just have them send the one set directly to you. Let me know and I'm really sorry again...

14. tank

tank Member

Got shocks on, now got to get some sun on my legs :D [​IMG][​IMG]

15. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

MUCH Better. I'm glad you got the right ones this time. I can't wait to get mine. Now I'm thinking of just going in a different direction with mine. I might just lower it with those shocks, stay with the stock tank, and slap some drag bars on it and be done.

Then I can use the '81 cb900f as my hardtail project.....or sell that off and pick something else up. who knows.

What are your plans for the seat?

16. tank

tank Member

I've got the seat done, just need to mount it and the fender again. You can see it in a few of the pics, all my seat is, is a metal back from an office chair with one end cut off and them wrapped in foam padding.

17. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Those still aren't the same as the ones I have, but as long as it works. My shocks are adjustable.

18. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

hahahahaha....I can't win with the shocks :(

19. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

I dig it

20. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

your really going to have to raise the fender to compensate for shock travel