1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Reduced wiring '81 xj750 j

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ACmech, May 27, 2010.

1. ACmech

ACmech New Member

I have rewired the bike according to another member's "minimum" diagram only to find that it causes an immediate short, that is to say it shorts the battery. I'm pretty sure that the small diode unit will be used in the solution to this problem but I'd like input from others before I do something like smoke my TCI unit.

Thanks in advance,
    ACmech

2. Toreadorranger

Toreadorranger Member

Post a picture of the diagram you used.

3. ACmech

ACmech New Member

4. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I say you used the diagram wrong. I don't know what you mean by shorting the battery? It constantly turns over? The starter button works by grounding the circuit.

5. psalten

psalten New Member

I am planning on using the same diagram... did you resolve the issue? Chime in if you have used this wiring method...

6. ACmech

ACmech New Member

Battery---keyed switch---lights---ground.

I agree that it may be improperly applied seeing as I have no lights in the system to provide resistence.

I know that series wound DC motors provide a low initial resistance. Perhaps it is significantly lower than that of a running headlamp. If I may continue thinking through my fingers: With the key switch engaged the headlamp ignites and inreases in resistance as its conductor heats up. When the starter switch is engaged the resistance of the lamp will act as a barrier, causing electricity to flow through the motor.

If this is the case I'm guessing that, in the original circuit, the diode block took the place of the lamp, which was cut off to increase current to the motor.

7. zap2504

zap2504 Member

I think you need a crash course in basic electron flow theory because none of what you describe happens. Most of the individual circuits (e.g., lights, ignition, starter, alternator field) are connected in parallel and each circuit acts independent of each other (unless the battery is too weak to power each circuit). The diode block acts as a 1-way valve to ensure that current only flows one way, regardless of how the safety interlock swithces are set. The schematic diagram referenced should work if followed accurately. If you have a short, I'm guessing that you connected some wires improperly. If there is not a solid black dot in the wiring diagram where two wires cross, there is not to be a connection. You need to trace each wire to make sure it is properly connected to the device(s) intended and not some left over/partial OEM circuit.