1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Filling dry/empy brake lines, HELP Please

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by djg42, May 31, 2010.

1. djg42

djg42 Member

Got my brakes put together finally and im trying to fill the front brake line up with brake fluid. I poured some in the master cylinder and pumped the brakes with the drain screw open and nothing will godown into the brake line-the level in the master cylinder just stays the same. I had a tube attached by the drain screw, i can hear air coming out everytime i pump the brakes, but the fluid just wont go down. What am I doing wrong? Thanks,
    DG

2. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

it will go down,but What i did was when I squezzed the handle,i opened the bleed screw,but when releasing i closed it,so it doesn't suck air in thru the bleed screw.

3. Galamb

Galamb Member

+1
    also keep the end of the hose in some break fluid, so it doesn't suck in any air accidentally.

4. handyman

handyman Member

someone will come along soon who can explain better. But if you search the forums this topic has been explained in detail. I had the same problem. These brakes have little spots where air likes to hide not as easy as car brakes.

1-Don't leave bleeder screw on caliper open unless hose is attached to bleeder screw and hose is in brake fluid in a container you don't want to suck air in and out of system. Also dont back bleeder screw out alot and you might have to put some vasoline or grease where bleeder screw actually screws into caliper to prevent air from seeping in between bleeder threads.

2- get something like a mighty vac - hand held vacum pump Attach it to the bleeder screw and pump away just make sure you keep the master cylinder filled with fluid.

Even when you get fluid through by the above you still might have soft brakes which could be do to the following

3-air will like to hangout at the end of the master cylinder where the banjo fitting is attached. Depress brake handle loosen the banjo fitting as see if air or fluid comes out. tighten banjo fitting and release brake handle.

Take your time dont get frustrated sometimes you just need to walk away and come back to it later and things work out.

5. djg42

djg42 Member

thanks guys! Got the fluid down and the barkes bled with your help,
    DG