1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

what paint to use for calipers?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by yamaman, Jun 1, 2010.

1. yamaman

yamaman Member

any input is appreciated, only want to do this once

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Duplicolor makes a caliper paint. I've never personally used it but their other product's I've used have done what they say they do.

3. b0bv1la

b0bv1la Member

Any paint will work as long as they are clean. But if you get brake fluid on the paint it will eat it off or if you dont get the fluid off when you clean the paint wont stick either.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use Duplicolor Caliper paint.

-clean the caliper thoroughly with lacquer thinner prior to painting; don't worry if all the old paint comes off just be sure all the LOOSE old paint is off.

-pay strict attention to the directions in terms of applying multiple light coats, and within 10 minutes of each other.

-be sure the part is FULLY "cured" before handling. (Put your nose right on the part and sniff; if it still smells like paint it's not fully cured.)

5. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I've also used Duplicolor Caliper paint with great sucess. It has held up for the past two years and still looks great. It is available at most auto parts stores.

6. yamaman

yamaman Member

ok thanks. I sandblasted them and bought gloss black engine paint. I'm doing 4 coats. Duplicolor Caliper Paint Kit was 39.00 at my local auto p arts store and basically included small 6oz can of paint, regular size can of aerosol brake cleaner, a small brush and wooden ice cream stick. Maaaybe enough for 2 calipers. 1 regular size can of spray paint for engines - black gloss - 5.99. Well the surface and the temp is ok and the bottle says wont chip so my fingers are crossed. thanks again